I would love to see pics of your old chickens, weather still here or gone, and, know how old. Who ha

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
I bet there are a lot of pictures out there of your long lost friends, or some that still have a chicken that is getting up there in years. I have no idea how long a chicken lives. Do the bantam live longer than the large fowl? Ha, like small dogs live longer than the larger dogs?
big_smile.png
Well, looking forward to some pictures! Or even if you don't have a picture, tell us about the oldest one of your birds got to be.

I can't tell you how old my Buff Orpington Hazel was... but she was totally blind and looked very old. Here's a few pictures... miss you Hazel. If you want more info on her life story, go here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/penny-gloria-and-nellie

Oh what a sweetheart! She probably loved the company of the other animals. Thank you for sharing. Have to chuckle at the doggy taking a liking to the "presents." Dogs! Are such dogs! I use to rescue dogs, foster dogs..and train them. I'm older now, but I have my own babies. Two out of the three like the treats the chickens..ahem..leave behind. Such dogs. You are a sweetheart to take on a chicken like this, but my goodness, it must have been so neat to see her come to your voice, or noises. What a great story!

Anyone else have an old chicken..or had one?

Last edited:
Oh what a sweetheart! She probably loved the company of the other animals. Thank you for sharing. Have to chuckle at the doggy taking a liking to the "presents." Dogs! Are such dogs! I use to rescue dogs, foster dogs..and train them. I'm older now, but I have my own babies. Two out of the three like the treats the chickens..ahem..leave behind. Such dogs. You are a sweetheart to take on a chicken like this, but my goodness, it must have been so neat to see her come to your voice, or noises. What a great story!

Anyone else have an old chicken..or had one?

Thanks, I once saw Luna (dog) lick Hazel.. they liked eachother alot. I can't believe I could care so much about a chicken... I still cry about her passing to this day. Animals bring out the best in people
smile.png

First is Penny, a mixed hen, then is Cindy, silver laced Wyandotte and last is Little Red Hen an Old English hen- all are 6 years old. Penny is still laying eggs regularly, Cindy lays sporadically and LRH doesn't lay any eggs but we give her day old chicks to raise and each spring she raises a brood of chicks (those are standard size Rhode Island Red chicks) :)

First is Penny, a mixed hen, then is Cindy, silver laced Wyandotte and last is Little Red Hen an Old English hen- all are 6 years old. Penny is still laying eggs regularly, Cindy lays sporadically and LRH doesn't lay any eggs but we give her day old chicks to raise and each spring she raises a brood of chicks (those are standard size Rhode Island Red chicks) :)
6 years old is great! I love that you let Little Red Hen take on babies. That makes her life happy, I can tell, good mom! And, wow, going to have to look up Old English Hens..she's very pretty! I love her..

Here are my two gals, they have been with me for a while. They are now 5 yrs old. This picture is of Betty. I can't find one of Marquita, my other Rhode Island Red hen.
That piece of cloth in the back ground is my hand made chicken saddle, the hen who had it must of got right out of it when I left. Ha ha. Darn chicken

Back
Top Bottom