I Would Love to See Pictures of Your Set Up!

yuckyuck.gif

I liked it, so not totally irrelevant!

Coop envy about describes it, looking at the great setups here. The amazing thing about chickens is not only the chickens but also that every single coop is unique and varied. They're like snowflakes!
lau.gif

Okay, my husband built a nice and very predator proof Ft. Knox 4 x 8 coop for our 6 guineas at the time. The guineas didn't last long (neighbor hated them) so we restarted with 4 sweet hens. Now I have 5 hens, and 2 more adolescent hens and 4 adolescent roosters. (The roosters are going to be thinned out soon, I might keep 2 because of the different breeds.)

ANYWAY - long story short, that nice coop he spent so much time and $$ on making it perfect is TOO SMALL. I don't want just four hens anymore. I want a self-perpetuating flock. But he won't hear about another coop, because he doesn't really have the time or inclination, but also because he knows that any coop is going to be too small after it gets stuffed with more chicken pets.
smile.png

SO. I may have to take it upon myself to draw up some plans and build my perfect coop. It would be big, open, shed-like with an interior room for storage of feed, etc. It will have ladder roosts and a few nesting boxes. I don't currently have an outdoor run because they are free rangers, but in the winter or in rainstorms it would be really helpful if they had a covered place to huddle, so I'd like to have some type of an outdoor run with a roof.

I've always thought that one of those Home Depot-type sheds, maybe 10 x 12, (12 x 16?) would be very adequate, just make a few modifications for more windows and roofline ventilation.

Come to think of it, I think the big box stores might be having sales on sheds now to clear out their inventory for the winter.

:getting the shakes:

A new, bigger, more adequate coop would really, really enhance the quality of my life and make me a happier person. Really.
smile.png

Quote:
Been there done that-----prefab lumberyard sheds will not last. And they're expensive besides, take your time, plan, and build a quality structure that will last. Things to incorporate in your design to make it last:

Number 1. Good foundation to keep all wood parts above the soil line/dirt

Number 2. Roof overhang all four sides and drip edges above all doors & windows. (No rain catch basin areas on the wood)

Number 3. Use an exterior sheathing of quality---No particle board or OSB, that’s all crap for long term weather exposure. Seal, caulk all seams, then paint.

Number 4. Misc fixens: I put angle iron over the wood on the door threshold to prevent wear & tear & rodent chews. I tarred the roof edges before I put the metal drip edges on and tarred all roof seams before the tarpaper and shingles went on. I used rubber strips cut out of an old tire inner tube to cover hinges on the chicken door and egg doors.

Note: Collect all salvage materials you can--windows, doors, hinges, lumber and modify your coop plans for economic efficiency
Note 2: Orientate the Coop/windows to maximize winter sun and minimize winter drafts

Thanks for the tips, Darkmatter. I think that might be the best, most concise list of coop do's I've read here. Definitely belongs on this thread.

NHchicks you are exactly where I am an just gave all the same reasons I had for starting this thread. Love the snowflake analogy! Perfect! I too was considering one of the aluminum shed. I found one nearby on Craigslist for $200. But after what Darkmatter pointed out, I miay have rethink that! Post pics of your hubby's construction. Maybe if all appreciate it enough he'll be convinced it's worth building another!

Here's mine:

30979_coopside.jpg

30979_coopfront1.jpg

30979_coopfront2.jpg

30979_sidewindow1.jpg

30979_coop_insulation1.jpg

30979_dscf2835.jpg

30979_roostend1.jpg

30979_threeinrun1.jpg

The divider in the nest box is removable so when they have babies they have plenty of room for their food and water and themselves to stay in their for several weeks.

Jenny

Quote:
That's a really nice set-up for an Urban enviroment.
I, myself couldn't possibly build anything like that--------I keep seeing my Grandmother in my head (who came west in a Covered Wagon, yes, I said Covered Wagon) and her expression if I did anything more then "practical".

Quote:
Yup, the lastability is definitely something to take into consideration.

Altho I was thinking wood sheds, not aluminum, because those would get like an oven in the summer - youch. I like wood.

Darkmatter, is pressure treated pine okay to build a shed out of?

Then there are local guys who will come build a shed on your lot. That's another option. Plus the $$ stays in the local community and gives someone a job. Can't complain much about that.
smile.png

Here's our current little coop. The non-boxed area was meshwired and nothing can get in there (even underground mesh), and to make it more spacious we put removable wood panels up over the meshwire anyway (after this photo was taken), and plexiglass covers the door now. When winter comes, the panels go up. When summer comes, some of the panels come down, most stay up, to make it a more true 4 x 8. (And like I said, this coop is just for sleeping. During the day they're busy landscaping my yard.)

57455_coop3.jpg

57455_coop2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom