IA here

I am new to the forum and in Lakota, a tiny town in northern Iowa. We are just 18 miles south of Blue Earth MN, and about halfway between Estherville and Forest City IA. My husband was raised in the area, but I am from the south. We moved here last September and winter was an eye opening experience.

Quote:
LOL I can imagine what a shock Iowa weather must be! Welcome to BYC and the Midwest! What kind of chickens do you have/want/need?

LOL I can imagine what a shock Iowa weather must be! Welcome to BYC and the Midwest! What kind of chickens do you have/want/need?
Yes, it has definitely been shocking. I'm not sure which has been the biggest hurdle, the cold or the wind. In Florida the only time we had wind like this was during a tropical storm or the outer bands of a hurricane. For the first month I constantly felt the need to stock up on water and beer. My husband figured out that the wind was putting me on edge, and had a good laugh about that. The winter is just obscenely cold. I did not know cold could get that, well, COLD. And so dry. I'm used to year round high humidity. The dry cold wind nearly killed my sinuses. Hopefully I will handle next winter better.

I have buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes, easter eggers and light brahmas. I'd love some speckled sussex. There are others I'd like but they aren't cold hardy, so I try to pretend they don't exist lest I delude myself into thinking I can make it work and wind up snuggling chickens next winter to keep them alive.

Yes, it has definitely been shocking. I'm not sure which has been the biggest hurdle, the cold or the wind. In Florida the only time we had wind like this was during a tropical storm or the outer bands of a hurricane. For the first month I constantly felt the need to stock up on water and beer. My husband figured out that the wind was putting me on edge, and had a good laugh about that. The winter is just obscenely cold. I did not know cold could get that, well, COLD. And so dry. I'm used to year round high humidity. The dry cold wind nearly killed my sinuses. Hopefully I will handle next winter better.

I have buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes, easter eggers and light brahmas. I'd love some speckled sussex. There are others I'd like but they aren't cold hardy, so I try to pretend they don't exist lest I delude myself into thinking I can make it work and wind up snuggling chickens next winter to keep them alive.

welcome-byc.gif

I live 16 miles West of Estherville, 9 miles West of Terrill in Milford.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I live 16 miles West of Estherville, 9 miles West of Terrill in Milford.
My in-laws live in Estherville, and we stayed with them for a couple of months while we looked for a house and then waited to close. I've driven through Milford many times going to Spencer. It's a cute little town :)

Hello Every One

I hope that you are all having a good weekend. I decided to stay in my pop up camper and listen to the rain.
I could not leave my house because of eggs in 2 different bators, so I went camping in my yard. Weird hu . My neighbors think so to haha

I have day old chicks $ 1.00 each Buff Orpington mix
I am in south west IA
I also have New Zealand rabbits for sale.
641 743 8931 Lisa

Back
Top Bottom