IA here

I went to Theisens yesterday to look at beekeeping supplies for my dad and to pick up cat food. Turns out it was chick days. Even though I have a shipment of Leghorn coming tomorrow, I couldn't wait. I got an associate to help collect them, and.... facepalm. This person was trying their best to capture a chick and wasn't being successful. At all. After almost five minutes, I told him I had chickens at home and had chased my fair share of chicks. I stepped in and I had grabbed the 4 chicks I wanted within 30 seconds. Seriously considering going back to pick up a few bantam chicks, though.

I went to Theisens yesterday to look at beekeeping supplies for my dad and to pick up cat food. Turns out it was chick days. Even though I have a shipment of Leghorn coming tomorrow, I couldn't wait. I got an associate to help collect them, and.... facepalm. This person was trying their best to capture a chick and wasn't being successful. At all. After almost five minutes, I told him I had chickens at home and had chased my fair share of chicks. I stepped in and I had grabbed the 4 chicks I wanted within 30 seconds. Seriously considering going back to pick up a few bantam chicks, though.
Too funny! Sound like my last experience with purchasing a conure from Petco. Poor little guy was flapping around and around the cage trying to get away from the clerk, so I told her I have two at home. She stepped back so I could handle it, I just put my hand in and he stepped right up. Little heart was going about a mile an hour LOL I just wanted to make sure he wasn't bitey and that proved it, so I bought him :)

So, does Theisens have a minimum on the number of chicks you have to buy? Was thinking someone said that TSC has a minimum of 6. And I haven't asked the guys at Bomgaars last time I was there drooling on the babies
droolin.gif

ISO cream legbar chicks or hatching eggs. Does anyone have any for sale or would be willing to trade fertile eggs with me. I have 5 different purebred breeds. Please PM me if you have Cream Legbars.

Oh dear! I went to Theisens again to get some soda after a couple errands. Next thing I know, I have a box stuffed with five bantam silkie chicks. Love 'em to pieces, but nothing like my brother. He keeps going to the brooder and picking them up and holding them. Miraculously, he only got pooped on once. He calls them hobbit chickens and threatened to take a couple back to his apartment for college.

Last edited:
Hello. Newbie from DeWitt, IA here. For years, I've loved the thought of having a few chickens, and the more I read and research, the more interested I get. The big iffy thing is that I live in town on a residential street, and whenever I've shyly (I'm shy) asked for info on possible ordinances, I've kinda gotten shut down with "Oh, no, I don't think that's allowed." Well, I wasn't really asking if they THINK it's allowed, I was asking if they had knowledge of specific rules, but I just, at that point, shut down and assume I've just asked the wrong person (again). I've scoured ordinances online, and the closest thing I can find is this: "55.05 LIVESTOCK. It is unlawful for a person to keep livestock within the City except by written
consent of the City Health Officer or except in compliance with the City's zoning regulations. Buildings,
yards and enclosures for cattle, goats, swine or domestic fowl must at all times be kept clean and free from
filth and stagnant water. All such permits expire annually and may be withdrawn for cause by the City
Board of Health at any time," The part that says "except in compliance with the City's zoning regulations" gives me a feeling if some hope, but I can't find the zoning regulations on such anywhere. I figure I can go to some zoning office and ask, but I guess I'm just trying to muster my thoughts and words on how to ask so I don't hear an automatic, "Oh, I doubt that's allowed" again (you know, without anyone actually citing firm data and what it says in print somewhere in the matter). If anyone here happens to know the actual laws on chickens in town in DeWitt, I'd be grateful if you can tell me (or if you know the wisest, most productive way of finding out, that would be great, too).

I'm not looking do anything big, 2-4 hens, 3 or 4 being a definite tops. I don't think it should be anyone else's business, really, what animals we keep tidily and properly cared for on our own property in reasonable numbers, animals that aren't a danger to people or anything, but I don't want to thumb my nose at laws, even ones I'm not really fond of.

So, that's me, and where I am right now in my little dream for chickens. By the way, we have three kids (two elementary schoolers and a baby, all boys). The older two have a long history of being very passionate, dedicated pet owners. It's not like we're flighty or impulsive folk when it comes to critters. We love 'em, and would love to be dedicated to a few chickens, too. We currently have three very loved pet rats--super affectionate little things--and twin sugar gliders. Not that all that is pertinent, but I guess I'm just introducing us and our lifestyle. So, hi, and if anyone had any info or gems of wisdom on how to move forward with figuring out chicken rules (before I walk into getting shot down blindly yet again), I'd much appreciate it. :)

I live outside of solon, and our tiny acreage is zoned as agricultural recreational. However, the town of solon permits residents two hens. About a year ago, (almost right after I got my chicks), a little boy decided to go to the city council to try and get it changed to 5-6 because the town he used to live in allowed it. Nothing was changed, but it did get people talking. It looks like of you go to your city health officer, you should be able to ask about receiving written consent. I would also check with neighbors to ensure they won't be bothered (try bringing an informational pack with, containing information on cleanliness of chickens, level of noise of HENS, unlikelihood (sp?) Of disease, and info about the temperaments of certain chickens
If you have a breed or breeds in mind, make information a little more detailed and maybe even bring a picture of the chicks and adults (NO ONE IS IMMUNE!)).
Hope it helps and good luck. If you have any questions, I'm sure the city office would clarify things.

I live N of Clinton, but I know people who live in Clinton and Camanche, and per their city ordinances, you can have a small flock of hens. I would think DeWitt would be the same. But I would call your local county building and just ask for the person who has any info about keeping chickens w/in city limits. Be vague at first. Then when you finally get the right person, just ask if there are any laws. You could even pretend you are asking for a friend if you are nervous about them knowing it is you. :) Or you may try asking at Theisens. They have chick days there and I would think they may know about the in-town laws. I've only been to that store a few times, but it sure is a nice place. We get our chicks from a local hatchery or through Murrary McMurrary. Hope that helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom