IA here

Maybe I will have to try that! Someone just suggested to me to serve the chickens warm oatmeal before they roost, im thinking with the windchill predicted for tonight that's not a bad idea! Wishing for spring...again!!!

Mine like the crickets that Petco sells as well. It's hilarious watching chicks fight over them!

You ought to see them fight over a cicada! Bunches of crunches in one of them! But fortunately, they are seasonal....
A bait shop would have meal worms. Maybe you could propagate your own by doing an internet search. I remember in science class, our teacher had a gallon jar of them. I believe the medium they were kept in was sawdust and oatmeal?? I can buy them at a local bait store, and they keep for a very long time in the fridge. (Of course in an enclosed tube!)

Last edited:
My littles catch alot of those as well for the chickens and there were tons of them this year! I actually found online where I can get 2000 for around $12 our local shops sell 100/$5 so I may go online instead of that and petco. I have don tons of research and am all set up, it actually seems to be a fairly easy project and our little guys will love helping with them....a mim gets over the yuck factor fast raising farm boys!!

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Iowans!
I am searching for some birds for a couple of 4-H kids to show. Anyone around Iowa City that breeds /sells show quality birds?
fl.gif

I'm here to put in my two cents worth. I live up in North Eastern Iowa near Waterloo. Anybody need some roosters? I have waaaaaaaay too many. And frost bite has been problematic for me as well. One of my roosters lost half of his comb, but no ganegreen. It atrophied and fell off. He now looks a bit funny but his ladies still love him

Back
Top Bottom