IA here

Hello All, I am a newbie to the Chicken World! In January I decided to buy 2 two month old Rhode Island red pullets and in february decided to get 28 one week old white leghorn chicks ( Brave or Crazy? ) . I live in Des Moines, Iowa. I am Married and have two children. I do not know what prompted me in to being a chicken momma? And now I have added to my flock, I have 20 cornish rock broilers, 10 more RIR, 10 barred rock, two "Giant" Cochin one white one Black and two wellsummers. And will definitely be adding to the collection. Buff orpingtons and Delawares are next on my list. Oh yeah I also have a broody banty, and a Sweater hatch American Game Rooster and his hen and also 2 more rooster which idk what kind they are. My husband got these other three roos in october. I will post pics. There are a lot of Iowans with chickens.

Buffs are great layers and if you do it right very friendly as well. Their eggs are generally a light brown to coral color. If you want a variety of eggs look into Amuaricanas, there's Easter Eggers which lay browns, blues, pinks, and greens. I just ordered some French Black Copper Marans which lay a dark chocolate egg. Be careful of having too many roosters, they will have constant dominance fights and if you don't have enough hens will fight over the girls. Generally want 7 hens to one rooster.

Buffs are great layers and if you do it right very friendly as well. Their eggs are generally a light brown to coral color. If you want a variety of eggs look into Amuaricanas, there's Easter Eggers which lay browns, blues, pinks, and greens. I just ordered some French Black Copper Marans which lay a dark chocolate egg. Be careful of having too many roosters, they will have constant dominance fights and if you don't have enough hens will fight over the girls. Generally want 7 hens to one rooster.

I Did get three Buff Orpingtons and three silver campine. Never heard of the silver campine before and thought I'd give them a try. I will check for black copper marans, the Americaunas and the Easter Eggers. And about the Roosters, I believe those will be the only three for now, I don't know why my husband got three? The American Game one is beautiful Rooster, I told him we can keep him and sell the others. We will see what happens. Thank you for your wise Words.

xgurl, definitely some chicken math happening at your place!
thumbsup.gif

/img/smilies/lau.gif Ok I'm just picturing you walking down the streets of Boone with your chickens on leashes.  Oops.  Maybe I shouldn't laugh.  Someone might actually being doing that.  My husbands uncle lives near Boone.  We have an offer on our house.  Now if only the house were trying to buy would get all the paperwork done./img/smilies/fl.gif

LOL we actually walk some of our chickens and rabbits on leashes ( well my children do) Lol

Anyone going to Waverly next weekend? My sister and I will be there. She is bringing some Seramas and some peafowl to sell. I'm coming along just to look.... just looking....just looking....don't! need! more! chickens!.....just looking.....just looking.

We'll see how that goes.
wink.png

Last edited:
I got myself 18 coturnix quail eggs in the bator. I only wanted 6 eggs :/  but... well you know how it goes.  Due to hatch April 12/13.
I love quail eggs! :love  

Anyone else here raise quail?

OMG I wanted Quails and husband said to try the chickens first and then we will see. Good Luck!
1f642.png

Last edited:
Quote: Thanks, I've hatched them before, pretty easy going. Someday, I want a pair of California Valley and snowflake bobwhite. But you can't beat the corturnix for being great egg layers and having several hens with one roo in the same cage. I love eating bite size eggs. :) Good Luck with your chickens and welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom