IA here

Okay, not an Iowan here...
big_smile.png
But I'm real close; I'm in southeastern South Dakota, and my husband has family in the Rock Rapids, Orange City, and Sioux Center areas. If anyone knows of any poultry swaps/meets, I would be tickled pink to know about them. I have such a list of birds I want to add this spring, and I don't want to order the minimum amounts at the hatcheries.

I need about 6 turkey poults, a few ducklings, *maybe* a pair of geese, and some guineas. See why I need somewhere close, to be able to buy a few here and there, lol! I also want some Peafowl, but I think I'm going to get everything else settled this year, and wait until spring '09 for them.

Hi everyone. It has been a long time since I've been on here. We moved and have done a lot of work on the house. I'm finding out all the leaky spots in the buildings. So in the middle of winter I have been moving chickens and ducks around.

Kent I'm not far from you(Donahue, Ia.). There are some hatcheries around here. Sandhill is close to me(Calamus). Also I believe there is Schelcht Hatchery.

Right now I'm deciding what I want to order from Cackle. I love their prices plus all the ones I bought last year survived the mail. I also have an order coming from Sandhill in April if the weather cooperates.

Owner of 100+ chickens, 5 goats, one pony, a lonely peahen, turkey, ducks and guineas, dogs and cats.

Hi momof3,

Yea you are just down the road neighbor. We moved out here just east of Lost Nation five years ago and have a full barn and attached chicken coop that we've just been using for storage but are ready to take the plunge. I know about Sandhill down in Calamus, have you ordered from them before this year? Friends of ours who live in Delmar are going to take us up to a place near Bellvue they know of, I will let you know what it's like. We want both layers and fryers. In your opinion is it better to get dual purpose or some of each? We are leaning towards 15 layers and 15 fryers. Family of 5 so will that cover us for eggs? Nice to meet someone close with some experience. Do you heat your coop? The one we have is in pretty good shape, needs a little patching. It does have electric for heated water and heater if need be. Have a good day, Kent.

Hey Kent, and Momof3, you both are about 2 hours form me. It would be about a 3 to 4 hour drive but I would really say to try to get to the Waverly swap this April if you can. It is great. Also there is a tiny swap that gets together off and on at Mechanicsville(sp) that would be close to you. I will find out when they are and post. Jenn

I wonder if they are taking you to Schlecht Hatchery. I know it is north of me about an hour. All my chickens are dual purpose or rare breeds. My three children well especially one of them thinks it is horrible to kill them for food. Sigh. So I just sell the extras and let them do with what they want. Mine are mostly for eggs. We have welsummers, cuckoo marans, polish, cochins, americaunas, wyandottes, phoenix, faverolles, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

This will be the third year I've ordered from Sandhill. I really like them.

I told my dh about Waverly. He just gave me that look like I'm crazy. Lots of times we go to the swap meet in Burlington Ia. They have one every month starting in April and ending in Sept.

Oh we are a family of five too. We started out with twelve hens. They supplied us with enough eggs plus we starting selling them to my dh coworkers. So you should be ok. Though be warned once you start its hard to stop.

I'm glad to see more Iowans.

Chanin

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the info, I could handle Mechanicsville. Chenin (that's your name, right???) it is Schlecht. They go yearly and like the place so we are going to check it out. We are trying to prep our kids (9, 5, and 4) that the chickens will be for eggs and frying, not pets but we will see how that goes.

Kent

Hey Kent, no problem. I have a hatchery real close by that I realize that last year they had a hatch day special. It was thier choice of chicks and they do not sex them but it was $35.00 for 100 chicks. I think I am actually going to order a couple hundred and take some of them to local swaps, even if I only make 5 or 10 cents a chick it is better then what would happen if they cant sell them. If they have this special again this year I will let you know and if we are coming to that area I could bring them down. I have a sister in law that live outside Grand Mound. I also have a sister that lives in Solon, might be able to meet you in that area too. The hatchery is Sunrayhatchery.com. Jenn

big_smile.png
Thanks for posting about Sunrayhatchery.com. They are a perfectly reasonable driving distance for me.

I will be getting some new chicks in the spring, but would only like about 5-6 chicks.

Jenn Grand Mound is just up the road from me. I know a family that lives there but bring their kids to my kids school.

Kent it is Chanin(shannin). Schelcht does have a website. I tried getting it yesterday but it was down. Their prices are really good. However they don't sex a lot of their chicks. I hope you have better luck with your kids then we did with ours. Mine were 4,7 and 9 when we first got our chickens.

So how is the weather everyone? I'm under a blizzard warning. Our roosters were enjoying being outside this morning. That came to a sudden end when the wind picked up and the temps dropped like a rock. I'm ready for spring.
Chanin

Back
Top Bottom