IA here

Pics
Thanks Jenn,

Sounds like as big as you have room for and can afford is the way to go. I keeping hearing / reading that they do a number on the grass and it's best to rotate them as much as possible, and also helps with disease, etc. I'm sketching a plan as I sit here.

Do you raise any meat birds? Do you know if they need to be kept separate from the layers? It sounds like they may have different feed requirements which would necessitate separating them wouldn't it?

I need some decent weather so I can finish fine tuning the coop - chick time isn't too far off!

I havent tried meat birds yet but actually my hubby and I are thinking about it this year, chickens and turkeys. If I remember right layer feed is about 19% protein and meat bird feed it 21%. So in all actuallity you could probably keep them together, it is just either your meat birds wont get quite the protein usually given or your layers will get a little more. You could always buy both layer and meat bird and mix them to get a middle. If we get them they will be with the rest of the birds. I dont have that much space to separate that many. Currently my geese and turkeys and 1 sheep use the same large area. I have about a 1/4 acre fenced off for them with 7 different shelters for them. The stupid birds wouldnt use them during a couple bad days so now I have them all locked in out barn. They are not very happy about that. The only other problem I had last year was they all tried to use the same nest. I dont plan on letting them sit on any eggs so it shouldnt bother this year, just make it easier for me to find the eggs. I will have 2 large coop areas, maybe 3. I will have my funny pen chickens in one and then my layers, broilers in another. I run ideas through my mind but my hubby always has different ideas so I gave up and just let him do his thing now. Jenn

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN QUAD CITIES HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING.

PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET WILL BE POSSIBLE SATURDAY NIGHT
AFTER MIDNIGHT...WITH HEAVY FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE NORTH OF
HIGHWAY 34 IN IOWA AND ILLINOIS. ICE ACCUMULATIONS GREATER THAN
ONE QUARTER INCH ARE POSSIBLE IN THE ENTIRE WATCH AREA. SUNDAY
MORNING...SNOW WILL SPREAD ACROSS IOWA INTO ILLINOIS AND NORTHEAST
MISSOURI. MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL BE
POSSIBLE THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON...WITH BLOWING SNOW POSSIBLE
THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING. AT THIS TIME...A BROAD AREA OF 4 TO 8 INCH
SNOW ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY OVER EASTERN IOWA AND EXTREME
NORTHWEST ILLINOIS. ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 6 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED
ALONG AND EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET ...AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT WOULD SERIOUSLY IMPACT
TRAVEL. MONITOR LATER FORECASTS FOR UPDATES.

Argh. Looks like at least one snowed in day, maybe two depending on how quick the blowing snow subsides and how quick the plows can get out. I hate the ice. That's when the power goes out. It's no fun being stuck in the country and not having power. Well, it will give me time to read the books on raising chickens that I got for Christmas!

Kent

I hear ya!! THis crap is getting OLD!!! We have to run to Charles City tomorrow night to get my daughter instead of Sunday. Get a bunch of groceries and hunker in yet again!! My hubby has a converter in his work van that we used the last time we lost power. We had the entertainment center, fridge and my incubator plugged into it. This time I will have to plug in 3 bators if we lose power. We dont lose it very often at least. Warm thoughts. Jenn

I never realized there were this many people from Iowa. We are located in Eastern IA almost exactly right between Cedar Rapids and Dubuque. Near Monticello if anyone knows where that is. We have 40 some chickens both full size and bantam and 7 silkies 2 ducks 5 cats and one lonely dog!

Glad to know there are others around us!

Oh and we are getting the Ornamental layer collection from McMurray this may!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Yep, I know right where Monticello is. We have family that farms up that way, and they have a quarry on the property as well. I also hear you on the lonely dog. We have a Golden that is an outside dog and was on his own for the first two years, then a friend of ours had a heeler / spaniel mix that we took and now the 2 are best friends, even though the Retriever is 105 lbs. and the heeler is only about 25. Nice to see you on the board.

Kent

Nice to meet you Melissa!!! I have 6 dogs so if you ever want an extra let me know. LOL It is a blast having so many different animals. Jenn

Welcome Melissa. I know where your at. We have four dogs with possibly getting our fifth at the end of the school year for my oldest son. He wants a dog that loves up to him. Now we have to agree on size. lol I'm hoping to convince him to go the shelters.

Our driveway and road is a mess. Pure ice. Oh and a nice little dusting of snow last night. Ugh. Will it ever end? You know it is to warm up so we will probably get more snow. I never thought I would be sick of it but I am.

It is so cold today. My chicks were shipped from Cackle this morning. I should of called and had it delayed. I thought it was suppose to be warmer. My fingers and toes are crossed they will be ok.

Has anyone ever hatched out ducklings? I have call duck eggs in my sons tiny little incubator. I plan on moving them into my new one as soon as I get it. My wonderful super husband let me buy a new incubator.

Call ducklings are soo cute and tiny. I just hatched a2 a week ago. My hens went into molt along with my drake so I am waiting for eggs again. I lost a third that was way behind the rest and didnt make it. All 3 would have been different colors. I cant wait for my hens to start laying again. I will set a bunch more. I will suggest that for the last week and a half to dip each egg in warm water. It is to replicate the moma duck getting back on the nest after a swim. Also it only take 26 days for call ducks so stop turning around day 23. Good luck, Jenn

Thanks. I'll do that. So many times I walked by the call ducks at the swap and just loved them. Last year I couldn't resist anymore(plus we moved to a bigger acreage) and bought a pair. They are named Gracie and Fredrick. I just love them. I can't wait to see the babies. Gracie and Fredrick were over 8 wks old when I bought them.
Chanin

Back
Top Bottom