IA here

Pics
I think the chicken wire wouldn't have been bad if the snow had a chance to melt between storms. It was OK for a while, but once you get a solid layer covering the wire, it just builds up fast.

Laura, I think the corrugated plastic is a good idea, I will have to incorporate that into my run, if I ever see the ground again to start the dang thing. Right now there is a 5 foot drift where my run will be.

Channin, I hear you on the snorkel. The only good news is that we live on a hill so at least it will drain eventually. Bad news is that I like to plant my potatoes on Good Friday which is only 3 weeks away, but with all of the snow and drifts in my garden I don't see that happening. We have one drift that is about 6 ft. tall around the snow fence that has solidified into solid ice. I swear it will still be there on Memorial Day!

Kent

This has definately been one of those years!!! Kent I would suggest getting some 5 gallon buckets and putting dirt in them and plant you potatoes in that and then trasplant later, or just leave them and when fall comes you can just dump them out and sort out the potatoes. I think I am going to do that this year. In years past I have forgotten exactly where the mounds are and ended up cutting up most of the potatoes with the potatoe fork. As far as the corigated plastic just make sure it has plenty of support so that it wont break under the weight. Even if it is at a slant some of the snow is going to collect, exspecially since it wont be smooth. It will just break under the preasure. I dont have a top to my run yet, I am still trying to decide what I want to use for sure. Jenn

Have you guys ever had mink problems?

I built my run and coop thinking about protection from dogs, coons, and hawks. The run is totally enclosed, chickens wire top and 2x4 welded wire sides, that flare out at the base and are covered with pavers so there will be no digging under.

I didn't really think that anything that could fit through the welded wire would be big enough to want chicken, eggs maybe, but I thought the chickens would be OK.

Well, last night we woke up to a ruckus. Let the dogs out to investigate, and they chased off a mink, and one of my favorite hens is dead. I tried hard to make the run very secure, so I don't have to close the pop hole, as sometimes I do not get home from work until very late, and I am often out of town. Well, the ladies are having their pop hole closed until I can get hardware cloth over the whole run now. Not likely that I will be able to do that anytime soon, given our awesome weather!

Geeze, lesson learned!

I dont really have much problem that way, my cat caught and killed a small mink one time. I cant remember what kind it was but it was only about 6 inches long. I have some killed but have more of an owl problem. I dont think we will ever be able to prevent something from happening time to time. Good luck, it is a heat wave today and I cant wait until this week end..lol Jenn

Any feed farm stores have peeps? TSC in mason used to but they are no longer carrying chicks. Bummer

In a few more weeks check at theisens, they will usually get 25 in during chick week and you can buy those. I broke down and ordered 30 from McMurry and will be picking them up on the 22nd. The hatchery by me wont be fully hatching until April and that is just to long from now..lol Jenn

Any one hear anything about the APA show in Avoca IA Moms day wknd? Is it worth the drive because it is probably about a 4 hr drive for me. Maybe we could have chickenstock there:)
It is melting big time outside and the girls are loving it. Waiting for Tues to come expecting some seramas YIPEE

I love that the snow is melting!!! We dug little trenches today to try and direct it all down the drive way and away! Its like a bunch of streams out there. Our dog Loves it.

Hey was wondering again about call ducks or any other kind of small ducks. If anyone has any they would be willing to sell (prefer ducklings) let me know where you are and how much.
I was going to put this under buy/sell but don't want to deal with shipping and such so figure here im asking people around me.

Hopefully the snow continues to melt !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom