IA here

Pics
Angelandspot that was you that mentioned you were looking for a blue van. It didn't dawn on me right away that it was you. I had just walked around the swap meet with my sons. It was a bit challenging. I'm trying to look at the birds and they are looking at other things. My dh said you bought some of the chicks. Let me know how they do. I actually sold all of them. We came home with the rabbits. There were too many rabbits. Actually an explosion of lionheads there. We won't be breeding our rabbits anymore. Did you find everything you wanted? We did buy four goslings and two muscovy chocolate ducklings. I was hoping for salmon faverolles and runner ducks. The runner ducks were sold before I found them. Someone came by and told me there was a guy there selling cuckoo maran pair or trio for 25.00. I'm sorry we didn't get to talk. We plan to go back in september if I can resist. lol

Quote:
Yep. I was the one in the grey chicks t-shirt. We bought 5 chicks from you. We were going to buy a rabbit but did not this time. I bought 2 Black Standard Cochins, 2 Mille Fleur, and 1 blue from you. Your daughter and husband were very nice and helped us pick out a pair of each of the breeds. I saw the Cuckoo Marans. We asked to just get a hen and they told us we had to buy a pair and then told us we could have just a hen for $15 and we said no thanks. One of the roosters had awful crooked feet.
We found a much better deal than the Cuckoos anyways. We got 7 hens and a rooster and the hens are already laying so we can have some eggs now as we wait for all our youngsters to grow up. They are golden laced Cochin Bantams. We don't need anymore chickens now. LOL

The only Silkies I saw were white and I do not want the white ones. I'll take them in any color but white. All the Polish I wanted looked really beat up missing feathers, ect. So I did not buy any Polish or Silkies. I do have a few Polish hatching eggs in my bator so I am hoping they hatch.

If I have really great success hatching the eggs in my bator I'll have chicks to sale in August probably as long as it's not too hot then. If it's too hot we will wait for the September swap. It's ok we didn't get to talk. I was trying to hurry around and look at everything and go back and grab what I decided I wanted before it was gone.

Here are a few photos of my newest birds:)

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05668.jpg

DSC05647.jpg

DSC05659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics. I love the one with them sleeping. They look so content. I saw those cochins too. Aren't they golden laced cochins? If they are and you have chicks, I would buy a some chicks from you. The fox got our rooster. I understand about getting to the things you looked at. I missed out on those runner ducklings because of that.

Quote:
Yep, they are the Golden Laced Cochin. My bator is going to be overflowing with eggs for awhile but as soon as I have room I will put some of their eggs in there because I want some of their chicks too:) If things work right I'd probably have chicks from them to sale in September.

And I got "Blue" from you. Such a lovely chicken. I finally got the photo to load without an error. GRR!

DSC05639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checking in. How is everyone? Is everyone drying out finally? Our basement finally does not have water in it since february. Yippee!

Does anyone here in Iowa have welsummers? I'm looking for a rooster. It can be a chick or an adult.

We are doing ok. One of my coops blew over during one of the storms breaking some eggs I had not collected yet but the hens and roo were just fine so that was good news. Our town is drying out and they are actually going to have the county fair (July 21-26
smile.png
) even after the fairgrounds were under water.
smile.png
I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. I am hoping a 4-Her will be have some Polish and/or Cochin for sale to add to my flock. I also would like some more like "blue" pictured above. My chicks I got from you (momof3) are growing well and the Milli roo is crowing now. I have some Gold Laced Cochin eggs in the bator. Fingers crossed on them.

Last edited:
I think it is awesome they are still having the fair. Imagine the disappoint of the 4hers if they didn't. All the hard work they do to get ready. I like Blue too. I do have two more similar to her. They have the same parents. However they didn't get the beard. Let me know if your interested in them. I have them listed on qcauctiononline.com Glad your chickens weren't hurt. We had a lot of wind last night. We are trying to reroof the old hog shed we keep our chickens. They are even getting skylights. My four peafowl have gone missing. I'm so hoping someone spots them soon.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't signed on in a while, it's been crazy busy at work and of course with the garden and chickens I barely have time to sleep. We got 15 Cornish Rock Cross about 9 weeks ago and I've just finished dressing (is that the same as butchering?) them. I had never done it by myself, but had helped my Grandmother when I was a wee one. Fortunetely I have a neighbor who was kind enough to walk me through the first one. I just finished the 14th one and I have to say that it was easier than I thought it would be. It was funny to see how my wife and kids handled the procedure, but they got more used to it after the first few. It's a great feeling to be able to produce our own meat birds. I am enjoying the pictures you all are putting up. Ours all look alike. We have 15 layers that I hope will be laying by September. I'll be on more now and am looking forward to hearing from my fellow Iowans. Talk to you all soon,

Kent

Great to hear from everyone. I think I will be raising some butcher chickens and turkeys next year. I was going to do it this year but just dont have the time and it is getting a little late in the year to really have some good growth. I might try chickens this fall when it cools down a little more. Jenn

Quote:
I hope someone finds your peafowl. I'd be interested in the other 2. Would you be able to keep them until the swap meet? If not that's ok also. I could also meet you in Davenport sometime. I might even be interested in one or two ducklings that you were going to bring to the swap. I pretty much just wanted something colorful and different to cross with my boring white Pekins and my pretty little mutt duck. Send me a PM and we can work something out. I have 3 gold Laced Cochin chicks that I could bring along if you wanted them. They are just a few days old. I was going to keep them until they were older and knew if they were pullets or roos before I sold them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom