IA here

We didn't make it to Maquoketa either. A couple of our kids had things going on. Our oldest girl wants 4H project rabbits, so we'll be on the hunt soon. Any suggestions on freeze-proof waterers for rabbits? As transplants from coastal California we've never had to think about such things lol!
I didn't use freeze proof waterers, but another method worked well for me. I just had 2 sets of nipple waterers for each cage and would switch them out morning and night. Also, leave a bowl of water in there so they can lick the ice when the nipple waterer freezes up. Always use cold water, hot water freezes faster.

I am SO happy for Kaitlyn. A good kid! Did the one we pulled out of the barn to wash do well? Are you AI ing Cochins yet?
Craig
Thank you. She's the best! Yesterday was her last day of school and she is ready to spend some days with me out in the barns. The one we pulled out of the breeding pen had to be left home. After I bathed them, I put all of the columbians together in a cage to dry. One of the second batch of columbians we got from you was pretty aggressive and picked her head. Since there was a little blood and a bald spot, I scratched her. Now the mean one is in a cage separate from the others.

I tried to AI again, and still can't get it. I'm getting frustrated because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you. She's the best! Yesterday was her last day of school and she is ready to spend some days with me out in the barns. The one we pulled out of the breeding pen had to be left home. After I bathed them, I put all of the columbians together in a cage to dry. One of the second batch of columbians we got from you was pretty aggressive and picked her head. Since there was a little blood and a bald spot, I scratched her. Now the mean one is in a cage separate from the others.

I tried to AI again, and still can't get it. I'm getting frustrated because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I meant the male we got out of your south barn for you to show. The one we all agreed on type. How did he do?

It took me a few minutes but i figured out what AIing is and Trish... i have to keep polite thoughts in my head but I do want to scream with laughter at the thought of you doing that! It's almost more than I can tolerate. All I can picture is Trish lifting up a seat cushion and feeling around for change! ROFLMAO!
Well moving on, hehehe.. Trish helped me out when I was financially embarassed in Avoca. you know you're in a small town when... as the joke goes.
Craig, the Galesville or Coulee Regional Poultry group, is having their first or innaugural show on June 2nd. Being their first one i don't think they got all the high spots with their advertising. They are setting up for a 1000 birds but may have more. This show is designed to replace the one in La crescent. Should be good rwing all the MN and IA folks and the WI ites together. I had to call to get in at the last minute. Cut off was the 12th. They may still accept exhibitors but you would have to call.

ETA: I made a mistake, said this repalces the La Crescent show, it is the former Richland Center show this replaces! My apologizes for the error. WI is a progressive state for shows and they run some of the finest you will see in the country with great Jr. and 4-H involvement Thats why we like to take the exra time to attend one or two each year. Their organization is unparalled in my experience so far.

Last edited:
Had a great day at the Kalona exotic animal auction. Lots of interesting critters!

I didn't stay past noon when my Cochins sold. I made contact for a larger incubator. My younger culled Columbian Cochins brought $9 each. My Columbian pair brought $16 each and my Partridge pair only 5 each. Also sold a Partridge rooster for a 4H bird. So I did clear out some space for my young ones to grow but you sure don't break even at those prices.

I thought some junk birds brought too much and people were not paying enough for the good stuff.

Craig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom