Ia this bumblefoot?

prov31mom23

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
And if so, what do i do about it? I noticed my rooster limping yesterday. Looked closer and saw this.

Left foot appears pretty swollen.
Does it show a black scab on the bottom?
If yes, it's bumblefoot, which is caused by staphylococcus bacteria.

More information for you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=bumblefoot+&=Search

Check your entire flock because it is contagious. Disinfect the roost bars, coop, floor....
This should be taken care of asap because if left untreated, the infection can move into the tendons and bones and once it's advanced, it can be fatal.

Last edited:
Is your rooster's eye swollen? Sometimes swollen joints can be a sign of mycoplasma synovia, which is a respiratory disease that can also cause swelling of the eye or face. Does he have any respiratory symptoms? I would also examine the foot pad as Clucker Cottage recommended.

How can you recognize an advanced case?

This rooster started limping several weeks ago after a few altercations with another user who suddenly decided to challenge his position in the flock. The limp wasn't very noticeable until about 3 or 4 days ago when we noticed that he's really favoring the left foot, trying not to put it down on the ground, and spending a lot of time laying down. That's when we started to wonder if this might be something other than an injury sustained during those altercations. The other rooster was removed from the flock because he was a nasty boy anyway, mean to humans and hens as well as this rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom