Ice....for your viewing displeasure. Pic HEAVY.

Thanks, EC. Now that this is over and my hubby is gone to Turkey I am going to try the quitting smoking thing again!!!!
smile.png
I do believe this would have made me start back again anyway.

Quote:
Wow, that picture bears an amazing resemblance to my driveway after the ice storm of 2002 here. We didn't have to get out the chainsaw though--just wait for the cedars to thaw and stand back up. I agree--ice storms are incredibly beautiful (especially when the sun comes out and everything is coated in crystal!) but holy cow the destruction!

Glad your ok. Sorry about the hubby cars. Praying for your hubby safety too.
smile.png

My sisters are still without. The Redcross set up a 'station' at my sisters church on Thursday. They came back last night and served a hot supper to the folks around there...they will serve hot meals, water, and a box of food supplies till Sunday supper. 2 hot meals per day.
All the folks down her road are without. And they told them 2 or more weeks still, due to exactly what you said...they are bringing in electric poles.
hmm.png

In fact, don't know if you heard about it.
An elderly lady (83) called Dial-A-Trade on Thursday, and asked for help to get out of her house...she said she had been without food and water for 2 days, and trees were blocking her drive so she couldn't get out...and no electricity. You would'nt believe the people (no organization name mentioned here) who didn't understand that when you have no electricty you can't watch TV or listen to radio to hear where they are setting up shelters...oh, and if your on well water...no electricity means...no water.
roll.png

Anyway, the radio (she knew the times Dial-A-Trade comes on) the Kernel took her address and got her help.
This is not the only sad story....many more.
Anyway....I am glad your electricity is on again.
smile.png
It helps...

The icicles hanging from the lines was something I've never seen and it's hard to believe the line remained intact.
Thanks for the pics. We've had some ice storms but nothing like that!

So sorry to hear about all the people still without power in your sisters area, Parsonswife.
sad.png
I saw a bunch of trucks this morning that appeared to be leaving this area (one loaded with poles) so hopefully they are headed there. I can't even imagine how they even got enough poles to replace all of the broken ones! I had no clue there were that many just waiting to be used. That is so sad about the lady not having food or the ability to get out of her home. I am so glad she was able to call and get help when she did.

It really is amazing how much ice the power lines can handle before they break. The night after the storm started my husband and I kept going out shining a flashlight on the lines checking for buildup. We just kept watching it grow thicker and thicker. I never heard an actual amount of ice we received, but I have a plastic tote sitting on my back porch that has somewhere between 6 and 7 inches of ice/water standing in it. I know it takes a LOT to start breaking off power poles by the thousands.
sad.png

Thanks, I was glad I never cut down that little bush after the flowers died off. I though it looked beautiful coated in ice. It was just some type of weed but since most of my yard is clay mud I will take whatever flowers I can get. LOL

Oh Christy.....

what Beautiful photos

but so sorry what the damage it did to you and everyone else..
how something so beautiful can be so dangerous

i am glad you all are safe and i hope things get better for you and everyone else as the year goes on
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom