Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

tonight will be the coldest night my duckies have experienced in their young lives!
At 10pm , it was already -2°C (~30F) and it is getting colder and colder, supposed to bottom out at -6°C (26F). I wasn't feeling well early evening, laid down for a nap, fell asleep and woke up at 10pm, the Ducks were still outside!
Those dummies were still sitting in the duck-pond!
Herded them into their dwelling, which i had prepared this afternoon with an armful of fresh straw, and gave them their supper bowl (nothing fancy tonight, just cracked corn and mealworms).
While they were eating like a pack or hungry dinosaurs i noticed that the three girls had little drops of ice frozen to the feathers on their backs. Well it looked nice, but it also scared me!
And now they are ignoring their warm bed and sit on the bare wood floor in front of the door, where the cold wind is blowing through - Ducks!
20181110_225057.jpg What do you think, should i shush them into their bed or leave them alone?

How’d they do over night?
They were doing ok, first they huddled together, then they huddled together a bit more, the finally Limpy had enough and went into the straw under the heat lamp.
sleeping20.gif
The other four followed his example shortly and they slept until ~11am.

And they were in for an ugly surprise: Their water was frozen solid, they were quacking loudly to be released and go for a drink into the duck-tub…
Next ugly surprise: The duck-tub is frozen too, except for the thin layer of water on top of the ice… Three ducks jumped into the tub, being totally surprised by the hard landing on their butts. :lol: Then they tried to walk on that wet ice :lau - Have you ever seen a duck walking on ice? Slapstick-Quality! Finally they slid to the rim and dragged themselves out with bill and wings. In the end five ducks were standing around their pool, quacking angrily and shaking their heads. :rant
:gig:gig:gig
I know it's serious! But i can't help, they looked so hilarious!
We bottomed out at -9°C tonight, fortunately it is supposed to warm up here, but i really need to figure out something to prevent their water from freezing. Electricity is no problem, but i don't like the combination of water and electricity being unattended.
winter32.gif
My ducks now officially hate winter! Me too!

I'd put them into bed, but then I'm more over protective then most :)
Same here! I lived in Houston the last 10 years and am no longer used to this weather. Never liked cold temperatures in my life ever and i think i am projecting my discomfort onto the ducks. They seem to be fine with the cold - except for their water!

They were doing ok, first they huddled together, then they huddled together a bit more, the finally Limpy had enough and went into the straw under the heat lamp.
View attachment 1587086 The other four followed his example shortly and they slept until ~11am.

And they were in for an ugly surprise: Their water was frozen solid, they were quacking loudly to be released and go for a drink into the duck-tub…
Next ugly surprise: The duck-tub is frozen too, except for the thin layer of water on top of the ice… Three ducks jumped into the tub, being totally surprised by the hard landing on their butts. :lol: Then they tried to walk on that wet ice :lau - Have you ever seen a duck walking on ice? Slapstick-Quality! Finally they slid to the rim and dragged themselves out with bill and wings. In the end five ducks were standing around their pool, quacking angrily and shaking their heads. :rant
:gig:gig:gig
I know it's serious! But i can't help, they looked so hilarious!
We bottomed out at -9°C tonight, fortunately it is supposed to warm up here, but i really need to figure out something to prevent their water from freezing. Electricity is no problem, but i don't like the combination of water and electricity being unattended.
View attachment 1587087My ducks now officially hate winter! Me too!

LOL - hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom