Ice Shack to Chicken Coop

Wheeks

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
Got this for a steal and plan on making it into the new chicken coop! Any tips/ideas you'd think would be good lemme know!

Where I'm going to stick it..going to fence in the flat part and out behind it into the woods to provide lots of cover

Nice find!
First thing would be, of course, ventilation - the windows that I can see would be less than I would want. It stands to reason, of course, given it's previous purpose. What are the dimensions?

It's a little under 8x10. The windows by the door open as well as the ones on the sides (covering all with 1/2" hardware cloth). I think I will be putting nest boxes where the shelves are and a ladder type roost next to it. Just need to figure what to do with the flooring and where I want to cut out an exit hole.

I have a coop that is 4 feet long and 3 feet wide and is 1 I half feet tall the coop part where they go into is 4 feet wide 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide. I currently have 3 sillies is that enough space for them. Or not

That's a great little building!

What's your climate? I'm assuming somewhere cold enough for ice fishing....you'll need more ventilation.

Is that sheathing just insulation board?
They may peck it apart and it may not be predator proof.

What's your climate? I'm assuming somewhere cold enough for ice fishing....you'll need more ventilation.

You know what I didn't even think of that and I just went to check and that's all it is. Would plywood be best to attach on the outside?

Yeah, plywood, T-111. I used Smartside for my coop, a man-made product I got from HomeDepot. It has a 50yr guarantee. Been on my coop for over 5yrs, and is holding up well.

Good catch on the insulation board - I didn't even recognize that on the outside until you said something, just looked like a funny color paint job at first glance. Definitely not going to be good from a bird consumption perspective or predator perspective. Good news is, re-siding it shouldn't be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom