Icelandic chickens in a backyard flock.

keds45

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Hi! I love the look and idea of the Icelandic chickens, but what are they like in person? Are they suitable for a suburban backyard bird -- for example: are they quiet, do they fly off, do they lay a reasonable number of eggs? I'd like to find out more! Thanks and sorry if this has already been covered!

They are good layers (my current girl lays 5 a week) of medium sized eggs. They can be raised in a run, but it's best if that run is really large or free ranging. My "run" that my Icelandic hen is in is 30ft X 50ft. They love space and are escape artists, so make sure your area is secure. I've had 1 girl get over a 6 ft fence and they are smart enough to "let" themselves back into the run. They can be stubborn and once find a weakness, will not forget it. (whether it's over the fence, under the fence or nesting box location) They like to roost high, usually in the rafters, so if you don't want them up there, block that area off. I had 6 week old chicks in my rafters 7 feet up.

I do not breed them, but I will not cross them with other breeds either. (to preserve the breed and unique genetics) I have the hens strictly for eggs/broodies. They are very good sitters/mothers.

Join us on the Icelandic thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299038/icelandic-chickens/13000_50#post_8431912

I had 2 hens, but lost one to a predator. I hatched these recently though. My stock comes from Mary (The Sheriff)

And my hen, Briet:

And this was Luna, before I lost her - picture taken OUTSIDE the 6 foot fence:

Last edited:
Oh My Gosh! Your chickens are amazing!!!! I think if they are good fliers/escapers they might not be the best breed for my situation, because then they would have to be more confined in the run and therefore maybe unhappy. My chickens are all sort of big and clunky and tend to stay put pretty well. Thanks for your reply! On to reading more about chickens!!

I saw over 1300 pages--a little overwhelming. So I decided to just ask!!!!

What happened to our old pages? All I see are the ones this afternoon and no page count at the bottom!

They are on the other thread.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom