Icelandic Chickens

Mike how is Sunni doing?
Sunna is doing great. She has an ultrasound scheduled this morning.
fl.gif

I've never had mommas stay with chicks as long a Gola and Goa!! Usually the Icelandic hens wean chicks at 6 or so weeks old. These were hatched the last week of September, so 10 weeks this week!! Both hens were molting and I think the chicks help keep them warm so they tolerate them....also smart mommas know the chicks get special treats and as long as they are mothering them, they get in on the treats.....smart girls, yes, indeed!
Here is Gola with her "chick"..

Last edited:
<3 Goa! Sweet mama.

I didn't mean to be away so long! I hope everyone's chickies are doing well. :)

I lost my first Icelandic 3 days ago. I don't know what happened. I saw a rooster on her, and she didn't get back up, so I went to see her & she just laid there. I picked her up, and she was quite lethargic. I put her into quarantine, with high protein feed, thinking she had pox (it's going through my penned flock, right now), and she passed very shortly after. I'm wondering now, if she was egg bound, since my flock is coming to point of lay, I think. :( I'm very sad about losing her, and mad at myself for just assuming it was pox.

My flock is 21 weeks old now. I haven't been able to find any information on when Icelandics typically begin to lay. Considering how quickly my cockerels matured, I was thinking the pullets may lay soon. Am I way off? I'm trying to figure out where to put the next boxes. The ladies seem to have an affinity for my potted plants, on the deck (or, what were my potted plants, before they turned into chicken dirt baths/nests). I was thinking about just rolling with that. & putting some straw on top & covering them to protect from the rain.

Salutations, Icelandic lovers! I'm in the same boat as LCS - didn't mean to be gone so long. It's been getting a little crazy here with the holidays.

LCS and Deputy, sorry to hear of your losses. Deputy, you've got a beautiful flock!

Jake, I hope you can at least keep a trio. The Icelandics sure mean a lot to you. Good wishes to your health, as well.

So......This is probably a moot question , but who else has had "dodo-brained" roosters? One of my roos crows in the middle of the night. Like 11 pm or 12 am, at times. He's always going off between 3 and 5 am. Every. Single. Night. I'm wondering if he's short a fuse and if I want to breed that tendency......

Salutations, Icelandic lovers! I'm in the same boat as LCS - didn't mean to be gone so long. It's been getting a little crazy here with the holidays.

LCS and Deputy, sorry to hear of your losses. Deputy, you've got a beautiful flock!

Jake, I hope you can at least keep a trio. The Icelandics sure mean a lot to you. Good wishes to your health, as well.

So......This is probably a moot question , but who else has had "dodo-brained" roosters? One of my roos crows in the middle of the night. Like 11 pm or 12 am, at times. He's always going off between 3 and 5 am. Every. Single. Night. I'm wondering if he's short a fuse and if I want to breed that tendency......
Red, Yeah, holiday preparations are hampering my time here also.

Could it be that you have some critter scratching around or making noises outside the coop? Maybe a vehicle flashing lights across the coop as it passes? Mine don't crow until sunrise without something causing them to rouse.

Other Mary, we do have cars that go along our street every now and then at night, but I can't imagine that he'd get much light back where he is. The chickens roost at the back of our acre lot in the trees. It could be possible, though. He never was the brightest bulb on the tree :/

Back
Top Bottom