Icelandic Chickens

Forgive me if information on this is somewhere else in the thread--it's a really long thread now! Does anyone have any advice on how best to get a few Icelandics in Utah? The small in-state hatchery that had them is selling their whole flock (too many for me to take right now), but next year I'll have a pasture established that I think some Icelandic chickens would really thrive on (plus they're awesome!). I know there are a handful of breeders around, but I'm having a hard time figuring out who's still actively breeding.

Forgive me if information on this is somewhere else in the thread--it's a really long thread now! Does anyone have any advice on how best to get a few Icelandics in Utah? The small in-state hatchery that had them is selling their whole flock (too many for me to take right now), but next year I'll have a pasture established that I think some Icelandic chickens would really thrive on (plus they're awesome!). I know there are a handful of breeders around, but I'm having a hard time figuring out who's still actively breeding.
Go on facebook they have a page and some of group formed a pacific northwest group should find some birds or eggs on there they also have breeder page

Hey everyone, just wanted to join the thread if it's still somewhat active, I recently hatched 8 Icelandic eggs, 1 passed 24 hours later :hit but the other 7 are doing wondefully, they are a tad over 1 week old :) I really want to buy another dozen or so from someone nearby, I live in middle eastern Va. I drove 3 hours to get 30 eggs from 2 different breeders in Northern Va, 12 from 1 breeder, 18 from another, 6 of the 12 hatched and only 2 of the 18! The breeder that sold me the 18 had told me she would replace them if I didn't get a good hatch but she has been VERY hard to get a hold of since I picked the eggs up and I really don't think she plans to replace them. I've had a very BAD experience with her so I'm looking elsewhere :/ The other breeder was awesome and I wouldn't mind going back to her but I really want some that aren't directly related to the majority of mine. I'm thinking of waiting til spring to try to hatch more but I'm starting my "breeder search" now, lol. Are there any breeders near me that ship? Or live close enough that I could pick them up in 2 hours or less?

ETA: I'm really interested in the Lyle Behl bloodline, I have Sigrid and Hlesey lines right now.

Last edited:
F
Hey everyone, just wanted to join the thread if it's still somewhat active, I recently hatched 8 Icelandic eggs, 1 passed 24 hours later :hit but the other 7 are doing wondefully, they are a tad over 1 week old :) I really want to buy another dozen or so from someone nearby, I live in middle eastern Va. I drove 3 hours to get 30 eggs from 2 different breeders in Northern Va, 12 from 1 breeder, 18 from another, 6 of the 12 hatched and only 2 of the 18! The breeder that sold me the 18 had told me she would replace them if I didn't get a good hatch but she has been VERY hard to get a hold of since I picked the eggs up and I really don't think she plans to replace them. I've had a very BAD experience with her so I'm looking elsewhere :/ The other breeder was awesome and I wouldn't mind going back to her but I really want some that aren't directly related to the majority of mine. I'm thinking of waiting til spring to try to hatch more but I'm starting my "breeder search" now, lol. Are there any breeders near me that ship? Or live close enough that I could pick them up in 2 hours or less?

ETA: I'm really interested in the Lyle Behl bloodline, I have Sigrid and Hlesey lines right now.
face book has an icelandic page and many breeders on there few believe in your area they have a list I ordered my eggs from david grote on there and had good hatch considering was my first

F
face book has an icelandic page and many breeders on there few believe in your area they have a list I ordered my eggs from david grote on there and had good hatch considering was my first
K, thanks a bunch :) I've considered buying some from him but was hoping to buy some a little closer to home to minimize the damage done by shipping. I may have to get my next batch from him though since my search is off to a bad start, all the breeders I've found that are close to me aren't active anymore... I guess... they haven't responded to PM's and most of their threads on here are VERY old.

K, thanks a bunch :) I've considered buying some from him but was hoping to buy some a little closer to home to minimize the damage done by shipping. I may have to get my next batch from him though since my search is off to a bad start, all the breeders I've found that are close to me aren't active anymore... I guess... they haven't responded to PM's and most of their threads on here are VERY old.
He does a nice job packaging mine all developed but dont think had humidity high enough during hatch but check out the breeder list quite few on there one of them sells on ebay from time to time in the south mite be closer but many people on there someone should help if I was npip cert would send u some but maybe next year

Hey everyone, just wanted to join the thread if it's still somewhat active, I recently hatched 8 Icelandic eggs, 1 passed 24 hours later
hit.gif
but the other 7 are doing wondefully, they are a tad over 1 week old
smile.png
I really want to buy another dozen or so from someone nearby, I live in middle eastern Va. I drove 3 hours to get 30 eggs from 2 different breeders in Northern Va, 12 from 1 breeder, 18 from another, 6 of the 12 hatched and only 2 of the 18! The breeder that sold me the 18 had told me she would replace them if I didn't get a good hatch but she has been VERY hard to get a hold of since I picked the eggs up and I really don't think she plans to replace them. I've had a very BAD experience with her so I'm looking elsewhere
hmm.png
The other breeder was awesome and I wouldn't mind going back to her but I really want some that aren't directly related to the majority of mine. I'm thinking of waiting til spring to try to hatch more but I'm starting my "breeder search" now, lol. Are there any breeders near me that ship? Or live close enough that I could pick them up in 2 hours or less?

I am not exactly sure were Heathsville, Va is but I live in PA but work in DC and there is a breeder up here by me. if you are not too far from DC I could get some eggs and bring them into DC, maybe you could do the same for me from one of the breeders you got yours from. Only thing is if you are looking for a specific line I don't think she keeps her lines separate but I could find out for sure.

I am not exactly sure were Heathsville, Va is but I live in PA but work in DC and there is a breeder up here by me.  if you are not too far from DC I could get some eggs and bring them into DC, maybe you could do the same for me from one of the breeders you got yours from. Only thing is if you are looking for a specific line I don't think she keeps her lines separate but I could find out for sure.
What lines does she have? I could ship some eggs to you if mail me some of those? My lines are mix of all the lines and have couple that are behyl line spring time will have grote eggs because my grote chicks will be laying then just looking for different blood

I am not exactly sure were Heathsville, Va is but I live in PA but work in DC and there is a breeder up here by me.  if you are not too far from DC I could get some eggs and bring them into DC, maybe you could do the same for me from one of the breeders you got yours from. Only thing is if you are looking for a specific line I don't think she keeps her lines separate but I could find out for sure.
I can't get in contact with the 1st breeder, she won't answer me but the other breeder I might be able to get in touch with her. It's a 3 hour ride to her though. She lives in Culpeper, Va. At this point I'm not really looking for a specific line anymore, I just want to hatch a couple more. The breeder I can get in touch with is high priced though. I paid $40 for a half dozen. She gave me a whole dozen though. She charges $60 a dozen and $40 a half dozen but she gives you extras. How much are the eggs from the breeder near you?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom