Icelandic Chickens

Oh Jake, I am so sorry - that is heartbreaking
hugs.gif

That might be much easier than reading the whole thread… I will try to do both, to sort of raise the bar.
wink.png
Got to keep the riff raft under control you know. It is snowing again this evening, I feel that I have selected the perfect breed for my conditions. The photo is of my winter coop, were I keep my Banty birds, I have a second coop, which we have recently renamed the Longhouse, where my larger birds sleep. Both flocks mix in free ranging during the daytime. And of course when it is not covered with snow.

RJ

That's beautiful!

And then there were 10......came home to find the smallest of the 6 chicks under Heppni dead. It was small and seemed to have a problem with a leg. I wondered if it would make it....it didn't. I don't interfere with chicks that my broodies hatch. It may seem heartless to some, but it is how I do it.
I will try and get some pictures of the rest of them tomorrow.

And then there were 10......came home to find the smallest of the 6 chicks under Heppni dead. It was small and seemed to have a problem with a leg. I wondered if it would make it....it didn't. I don't interfere with chicks that my broodies hatch. It may seem heartless to some, but it is how I do it.
I will try and get some pictures of the rest of them tomorrow.
I'm the same way. Still, sorry you lost one!

The snow here is slowly melting, might be gone again by tomorrow. NAF threw down the gauntlet… thus I must pick up said glove and as of this evening, I have placed a couple of Icelandic eggs under a little BBRed hen that has been insisting on being a mom. I have a few of these little girls that seem to want to take on a big girl role. So I will give them a shot. Should this work, they will work in nicely with the batch I have on order.

I am on page 140 of the thread, but I can do it. Page by page photo by photo, the banter is fun, I enjoy some good old chicken humor, but the history lesson I am getting could not be gained any other way. I suppose there is no 'thin' pill, only hard work can make it go. I am unsure rather of not to allow an mother son mating, so half of the eggs I am collecting are of this match. What is the accepted, approved, or estimated thoughts on this? I have seen the just let them go, don't make a mess thing, but wonder the thoughts of the experienced keepers here.

Whee i was able to get chicks from David G. I was not going to push the one hen that is not closely related to self start my flock. So for better or worse, I am off on this adventure.

A hello to my fellow new member ARConfederate.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

RJ,
I have a paperback 2003 version of a book, "The Mating and Breeding of Poultry" by Harry M. Lamon and Rob R. Slocum, originally published in 1920. It was written for those wishing to breed Standard of Perfection show birds and has information that may be of no use to me or you, but it also has some great information. Only the first 68 pages deal with general information. The balance of the book deals with the various SOP classes/breeds/varieties and how to work with them. I like these old books written by people who had/took the time to observe their flocks, record their findings, work to improve what they had since getting new stock wasn't easy for them.

From the forward:
"Let no one to whom poultry breeding appeals hesitate to engage in it on the ground that he has not the room or facilities to enable him to compete with others more favorably situated. With only a back yard or village lot, and with the crudest equipment, it is possible to produce fowls of the highest excellence. Many winning birds in the leading exhibitions are produced by men and women who breed on a very limited scale without farms available for their poultry operations."

I thought that if some one could raise show quality stock on a small scale, I should be able to preserve on a small scale.
Chapter 1 is Principles of Breeding and Chapter 2 is Practices of Breeding. Both contain good information that can apply to any breeding program: Influence of sire or dam on type and color, sex linked inheritance, Inbreeding, Line Breeding, Out Breeding, Offsetting of weak points, Early hatching, Free range versus confinement.

I think it would be worthwhile to see if your library as a copy or can get one through inter-library loan. There may be other similar books but this is the one I have. I also have a 2001 version of the American Poultry Associations Standard of Perfection. The first 30 pages of it have a glossary, illustrations and descriptions that are very educational and the illustrations of the many different breeds and their varieties can help identify the coloring of Icelandics....or partially identify!
wink.png

That is enough for tonight! Off to bed........
23dormir.gif

Thank you NAF, you are an hour ahead of me and i am off to slumber land as well. I saw you lost a chick, and sorry about that. I am farm centric and practical in my doings as well, so I do understand letting mother nature have her way. I know for many it is hard to loose even one. But the reality of it is you are going to lose a percentage due to one thing or another, regardless. I will try to see about the books on the morrow.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom