Icelandic Chickens

Quote:
I knew you had good taste.
big_smile.png

((((Kathy)))), you have a package on the way.

Tracking 0310 3200 0000 5024 9889

(((Mary Mays))), you have a package on the way too.
I didnt track yours cause I could replace the bread easy enough.
smile.png

I am sitting here with a slice of the Spinach Feta, slathered in Tomato Basil Goat Cheese...how's that for a palate wake up call.
big_smile.png

Hi Camelot

Do you make your own Feta? I did when I had goat milk available, have made it from cows milk, my favorite cheese.

I am looking forward to hatching next month, hovabator is ready to go ! Would like to be hatching now but next month can do an outside brooder. Right now its kind of crowded inside.

Quote:
I wish! Everything here is ULTRA Pasteurized and it just doesnt taste the same as true, fresh outta the udder milk. I do make mozzarella, cheddar curds, ricotta and cottage cheeses.
The goat farmers in this area all raise meat goats. No one has dairy goats. I had goats for a little while but then they ate my prize rosebushes and my lilac bush. Goats were rehomed the following week. *I know it was my fault for not having good fencing, but they still got rehomed
smile.png

We do have a vendor at our April-October farmers mkt from about 90 miles away who brings goats cheeses. I stock up every week when she is there.
smile.png

Within the next year I will have a family cow to raise a calf on and have house milk and cheese, it has to be! Feta is too easy to make not to do it.

Goats do need special care fence, but are worth it to me, and I also prize my Lilacs and other shrubs, and Butterfly Bushes.

I wont have time this year for building fence what with building pens for the chickens. That starts heavy duty in just 3 weeks. Two good sized brooders then the pens for pairs and trios. And a couple bachelor barracks.

Quote:
Sounds delish.......I'll be stalking the mail carrier!!
I get fresh goats milk about 10 months of the year from a farm near me. She makes goat cheese whenever she has excess milk so I buy from her whenever I need some. I've only tried cheesemaking twice. I have the most time in the winter for such things but that's when I'm not getting milk!! I don't blame them for planning the kidding the way they do, I wouldn't want does freshening during our winters either!!!
I'd better call and see if she has any cheese available so I can go get it and get the herbs mixed in and be ready for my bread!! Thanks Kim!!

Quote:
Well, hopefully I'll get a girl that looks like Lukka.... so I'll hatch from your eggs!

What do you do with all your boys?

Are we eating Icelandic boys or rehoming them?

I haven't yet, but my plan is to butcher and eat them. This next Friday will be processing day of a bunch of little boys if someone doesn't want them.

Hey Kathy, remember how The Warden rehomed some roos and one ended up laying eggs at HER new home?!?!
hide.gif
Make sure they are crowing before you eat them!!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom