Icelandic Chickens

A couple pics from the babies that are about a month old :) They are in with my white bresse, so that's what the bigger white birds are. Never mind the chicken toys either, I have a 6yr old that keeps all birds entertained!

I think this one is a hen... LOVE the 'do :)

This one's crest just started growing. I thought it looked like a turken for awhile there!

This one is the strangest color. I have nothing like this here. It's body is almost a lavender color? The head is buff/gold. I had two in that hatch that were the same color. I think I one is a cockerel and one is a pullet.

I hope this one stays pied, but I doubt it will. It has spots on it's side too. Cool "pinto" coloring for now! (that chicken to the left that is cut off is that lavender/buff one's back)

This last hatch I had was really odd. I got almost all blonde chipmunks with a couple yellow chicks and two black ones. No brown chipmunks at all. I have had a lot of brown chipmunks all along - very strange!!!

Last edited:
A couple pics from the babies that are about a month old :) They are in with my white bresse, so that's what the bigger white birds are. Never mind the chicken toys either, I have a 6yr old that keeps all birds entertained!

I think this one is a hen... LOVE the 'do :)

This one is the strangest color. I have nothing like this here. It's body is almost a lavender color? The head is buff/gold. I had two in that hatch that were the same color. I think I one is a cockerel and one is a pullet.

This last hatch I had was really odd. I got almost all blonde chipmunks with a couple yellow chicks and two black ones. No brown chipmunks at all. I have had a lot of brown chipmunks all along - very strange!!!
The chick in the picture above could turn out like my Gula (on the right) You can see her body color is not white (compare to Audun's tail), it is more a dusty gray/blue or lavanderish color. She has gold around her neck and some color in her breast.

Here is one of her earlier this summer with her two New Hampshire chicks (weaned now)

Your top pic reminds me of the two "penguin" chicks I hatched. One was a cockerel and the other a pullet.
Pullet on the right in the picture below....you can see she is blue where her brother is black...but they looked the same when they were a couple of days old.

This is her, on the left, at five months old. Both of these pullets went to Michigan to Jake Levi.

Mary, you mentioned Jake. I hope he is doing okay -
hugs.gif
he's been absent for far too much time.

The two lavenderish ones look just like your Gula, yes! Gula is pretty :)

I have a black and white mottled roo and get quite a few penguins that go mottled. Love that color too.

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself to people subscribing to the Icelandic thread. I don't have any chickens yet (I'm about a year away from moving to a new place with a lot of land) but after a lot of research I've already decided I want my entire flock to be Icelandics. I plan to free range the flock, and I mean really free range it, not moving a tractor around which is what some city folk think counts as free ranging. I love that Icelandics are great foragers, weather hardy, and especially that they are all so unique in colors and markings. And I don't care a thing about showing for breed conformation, so it's great that the Icelandics were more "naturally" developed as a landrace. I look forward to reading as much of this thread as possible and hearing about everyone's chickens. And at some point in the future, hopefully next year, I'll be looking for advice on where to get my hands on some wonderful Icelandic chickens!

Back
Top Bottom