Icelandic Chickens

IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT! It was purely an accident of genetics. Vaulted skulls are a rarity in Icelandics, many long time breeders breed crested to crested without issue.

Again not your fault. To the best of my understanding the vaulted skull travels with the crest, that is without any actual studies. I had to choose between SFH and Icelandics, I want to reduce poultry numbers, and would like to get down to Icelandic only. There was not anything wrong with the SFH, and I often think I should keep them instead, larger = more meat. The Icelandics went broody more often, I would rather never run the incubator and have to raise chicks again.
I have to agree with mlmddh, I did some research (and a lot of banging my head against a wall), and what I came up with was that a couple of the well known (and I feel quite trustworthy) breeders/importers of the breed said they have never seen the issue personally in their (large) flocks. Their breedings all included crested to crested. It obviously happens, I've seen a couple people point out that they have gotten a vaulted skulled chick, but if the larger breeders are not seeing it, I'm going to lean on the "you have really bad luck leg :)."

I personally really honestly think that is has something to do with the hatch environment, or something that happens to the egg before incubation - but I have absolutely nothing to back that up as the information just isn't easily found on the topic. I did notice that I couldn't find anyone that had a broody hatch one, they were all incubator chicks - which is obviously the most common method, but it was something to point out. I also wonder about the prevalence of them in relation to shipped eggs. That all being said, it's obviously a trait that can be inherited, as shown in the other breeds... I don't know. It's a topic that interests me for sure.

Quote:
I am right there with on these!

Quote: Again not your fault. To the best of my understanding the vaulted skull travels with the crest, that is without any actual studies. I had to choose between SFH and Icelandics, I want to reduce poultry numbers, and would like to get down to Icelandic only. There was not anything wrong with the SFH, and I often think I should keep them instead, larger = more meat. The Icelandics went broody more often, I would rather never run the incubator and have to raise chicks again.
barnie.gif
NO!! Put that thought out of your head!

barnie.gif
NO!! Put that thought out of your head!

I'll be sticking with Icelandics for my remaining hobby farm years. DW and I are beginning to discuss winding down the hobby farm, and our next move.

I'll be sticking with Icelandics for my remaining hobby farm years. DW and I are beginning to discuss winding down the hobby farm, and our next move.
This is a discussion my DH and I have been having. We know we will have to let it go at some point...we just don't know where that point is yet.

Quote:
This is a discussion my DH and I have been having. We know we will have to let it go at some point...we just don't know where that point is yet.
That's a tough decision, we're thinking about 5 more years, but that can always change. For now I would like to get down to one rooster and about ten hens.

I downsized my flock by ten birds yesterday/today. Still need to reduce before winter gets here.
I went to Texas to visit my parents and when I left I had one broody that I had given 6 eggs. When I returned, there were three more hens sitting.
barnie.gif

I split the five fertile eggs between the four of them. One of the hens kept getting off and on the nest so I took her egg away and gave it to another hen. Now I have three broodies with five chicks between them....I will get some pictures one of these days.
roll.png

Last edited:
I downsized my flock by ten birds yesterday/today. Still need to reduce before winter gets here.
I went to Texas to visit my parents and when I left I had one broody that I had given 6 eggs. When I returned, there were three more hens sitting.
barnie.gif

I split the five fertile eggs between the four of them. One of the hens kept getting off and on the nest so I took her egg away and gave it to another hen. Now I have three broodies with five chicks between them....I will get some pictures one of these days.
roll.png

I'm jealous of the flock size. Yes, post some pics, please. I hope you had a nice visit.

Back
Top Bottom