icing for sugar cookies?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by backdoorchicken, Dec 21, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    can we use cake icing or do we need a special kind for cookies? it seems like it's harder, which i like, than cake icing.

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    royal icing is a littile harder for cookies so they won't stick together![​IMG]

3. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I like an icing that dries harder..I don't have a per se recipe..I just use confectioners sugar add milk (someuse water) by the spoonful until it is a good consistency, spread on cookies and allow to dry..I add coloring sometimes too or sprinkles.

4. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Sugar Cookie Icing I-
    2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon butter, softened
    1 tablespoon light corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
    food color, if desired

Combine powdered sugar, water, 1 tablespoon butter, corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in small mixer bowl; mix until powdered sugar is moistened. Beat at medium speed until smooth, adding additional water if necessary, to reach desired glazing consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.

Sugar Cookie Icing II-
    1 cup of powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon melted butter
    milk
    food coloring (optional)

In a bowl, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and melted butter. Stir well. Then add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until the frosting is of desired consistency to frost cookies. If you make it too thin, you can add one tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time. Add several drops of desired food coloring and stir well.
    Note. This is the easiest and best tasting frosting for sugar cookies.

Royal Icing-
    1 pound powdered sugar
    5 tablespoons meringue powder or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
    2 tablespoons water
    food coloring (optional)

Combine powdered sugar and meringue powder or egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat on low speed. Add water drop by drop. The amount depends on whether you used the powder or the egg whites, and on the temperature and humidity in your kitchen. Add the water slowly and do not let the mixture get runny - you will probably not use all of it. Beat until the mixture holds a trail on the surface for five seconds when you raise the mixer from the bowl. If you like, you can tint the icing with a few drops of food coloring. Makes 6 cups.

Buttercream Frosting ( more for piping and or cakes )-
    Using shortening in this recipe instead of real butter makes the frosting much more stable and long-lasting for cookies that are going to sit out a while before consumption.
    1 cup Butter-Flavored or Golden Crisco ( solid vegetable shortening )
    4 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 fluid ounces heavy cream
    gel or paste food coloring (optional)

Cream shortening until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and continue creaming until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional cream a teaspoon at a time if necessary to achieve the right consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy. If desired, divide frosting into several small bowls and stir in food coloring to create various colors of buttercream frosting.
    Variations:
    For a pure white frosting, use white shortening and clear vanilla.
    For a whiter colored frosting that uses real butter but still holds up well at room temperature, use 1/2 cup white shortening and 1/2 cup unsalted butter.

Chris

6. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    Whoa. Jackpot!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by