Icky mucky coop woes

I would flip that vent/window cover around so hinges are at the top.
Nest lid is of bad design, would take more to 'fix' that.
How handy are you?
Are those the only 2 places water is getting into coop?
Yeah, pretty much. I haven’t noticed any leaking other than that area. I do usually seal it off in the winter with plastic. I’m pretty handy, not so much as others though haha. Best thing I did was create a coop run door.

How handy are you?
Good idea btw. Worth trying! I’m going out to do some serious cleaning right now, maybe seal off the window temporarily until I can fix it long term. I got more sand too. :D

The rain leaking in due to poor vent install/location is the problem here, not the choice of litter. Until you fix the problem with water getting in, no litter choice is going to work well, because there's simply no place for the water to go. Scooping and sifting sand only works when it's dry, and shavings or hay/wood/other similar litters are only absorbent when dry.

Photos of the inside of coop along with problem areas would help a lot.
Yup. Stop the leak and your shavings will be fine.
How handy are you?
Yes! That door on the window is installed upside down.
Good idea btw. Worth trying! I’m going out to do some serious cleaning right now, maybe seal off the window temporarily until I can fix it long term. I got more sand too. :D
Looks like you're on the right track. :thumbsup Good luck! Let us know how the sand works. I've thought about this but pine shavings have worked for me for a year so I don't know if I should change.

x3 on the window, flip it so the hinges go on top. It'll need to be propped open but this way at least the water will sheet away over the window, instead of some going right into the opening and the rest pooling on the door hanging there. You really need a solution other than just covering it up because that appears to be a good source of ventilation.

My nest box is completely internal so not sure how to fix a bad lid on an external box. It's likely leaking where the hinges attach to the wall, as there needs to be a gap for the lid to open an close, but either the roof overhang over it is insufficient or the nest box is pointed directly towards the winds, which is causing water to go down the wall and then straight into that gap.

Quick fix for nest hinge would be to tack a piece of flexible rubber on wall of coop and let it drape down well over edge of metal lid material. EDPM pond liner of roofing membrane would work best, but might be hard to find.
Red is rubber, blue is 1x2 screwed down tight.
upload_2018-10-15_19-3-16.png

I also had a sand run. I loved it, except it turned to dirt so fast. Unless I amend twice a year, we get mudded when it rains. I’ve started throwing shavings and leaves and stuff like that down to get them up out of the mud, but what I know I’ll end up doing is covering the run completely so less rain gets in.

Back
Top Bottom