Icky mucky coop woes

Pics

GldnValleyHens

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 21, 2017
Galena, Illinois
So about 2 months ago I scraped my coop floor clean, and poured sand into it. I was tired of moldy, wet shavings that soiled too quickly. I had read up on the benefits of sand in the coop, and decided to switch. The sand was damp when I put it in, because we had a big rainstorm. It dried out though, and for a few weeks it worked. Then, we got more rain and torrential down pours, and because the guy who built our coop made a faulty flap window, rain leaked in every thunderstorm. I also failed to scoop out the poop and hay ( nestbox residue). My coop was a muddy, swampy cess pool.
. I cleaned it out, but the sand was still stopping wet and now very manure-y.
On top of all this, my Cochin pulley and Polish are now sleeping in the nesting boxes to avoid bullying although I ha e plenty of room on the perches. The boxes are full of ******** and the eggs are icky now too. I tossed the Cochin and polish into the duck coop one night, sick of this. But I forgot to shut the nestbox roof afterward. It rained geese and ducks allll night, and if the coop was wet before it was practically underwater the next day. Now, I don’t know what to do!! Dig out all the sand and call it quits? I really hated how much I had to change the shavings last time. ( And most shavings cause cancer)

On shavings causing cancer:
wood dust causes cancer. shavings don't, and shavings aren't toooo dusty...
also, fixing the window flap would help
as @roosterhavoc said, straw is good, (but it tends to mat down)
... you said about sand,
It dried out though, and for a few weeks it worked.
do you mean you left the same batch of sand in for a few weeks? if so, then the problem is just the coop isn't being changed often enough.​

So I have to change the sand? The article on here said that the lady just scooped out the poop with a muck rake, sort of like a giant kitty litter box. I have straw in my duck coop, yeah it mats down really easily with their flat feet, but their coop is the drier one too, ironically.
If I do go back to bedding, straw vs shavings? Your favorites?

I really hate that window. It is a rectangle above the nesting boxes, covered with wire mesh and a open-close wooden flap. Drafty and leaky. Not sure how exactly to fix it, tried lining it with caulk and foam, didn’t work. I could seal it off, but it is wonderful in the summer for ventilation as the perches are right behind it

So I have to change the sand? The article on here said that the lady just scooped out the poop with a muck rake, sort of like a giant kitty litter box. I have straw in my duck coop, yeah it mats down really easily with their flat feet, but their coop is the drier one too, ironically.
If I do go back to bedding, straw vs shavings? Your favorites?
I have no idea about sand. I use shavings inside the coop where they stay dry. I use straw outside in a covered run that is attached. My birds are loose though so they really only hang out in the covered run when it’s raining or snowing hard. The chickens only sleep in the coop. Everyone’s set up wil be different. I would do whatever you have to do to keep the inside of the coop dry.

I really hate that window. It is a rectangle above the nesting boxes, covered with wire mesh and a open-close wooden flap. Drafty and leaky. Not sure how exactly to fix it, tried lining it with caulk and foam, didn’t work. I could seal it off, but it is wonderful in the summer for ventilation as the perches are right behind it
If you could post a pic of the window maybe someone can help you with ideas to fix it.

I use hay, any substrate you use is going to get gross and mucky when there's a lot of rain. During the work week, I just toss in more fresh hay over the wet stuff and it gives them a drier surface to walk on. On the weekend, I rake out pretty much everything and try to let the ground dry out while they are free ranging, providing that the rain is over with. Then I put down fresh hay again. Probably not the most cost effective way, but it works for me and my girls. Plus the fresh hay smells so nice, it's like there's not even a chicken coop on the property! Hope you find a solution for your coop!

Back
Top Bottom