I'd like to introduce you

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
to our new chicks-in-residence!

You'll see that one is labeled, so far. I think it's the right one - I'd have to look on her underside to be certain. She has a pink mark on her tummy, per the hatchery, to indicate that she is a sapphire sky. She looks so much like the others. My neighbor asked me once - that I one day name a hen after her late mother, Matilda (Tillie). So I had her come over and choose her Tilly, this afternoon. When Tillie comes into lay, I'll give her first egg to my neighbor.

The others (once I get to know them a little) will be named
Marilla, Elsa and Jolene. They are (2) mystic marans and an olive egger

received_326342480412170.jpg

Last edited:
My babies are getting bigger! They are loving their outings! I have a feeling that Tillie (who is supposed to be a Sapphire Sky) is another breed. She does not resemble the Sapphire Sky in the hatchery catalog. Jolene has some feathers on her feet, while Elsa has VERY feathered feet. They are supposed to be Mystic Marans. Pretty sure Marilla is the Olive Egger we were expecting.
Messenger_creation_27a4437e-981c-4bda-b90e-6f6cbee17e36.jpeg

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, all Sapphires are hybrids (including my Gems, Olive Egger and Splashes), which means you never quite know what you'll get. In the catalog, my Sapphire Splashes were colorful shades of blue-gray. dark to light. In the real world, both of my girls are totally stark white.

Glad to see the update on your girls!

Are sapphire sky sex linked?? We received one in a shipment and even though it's supposed to be a pullet I'm not familiar with them, just sapphire rocks and those are. I'm currently eyeballing our newest fluff. Didn't mean to hijack thread, just looking for info since hatchery claims non sex linked. These were a two bird replacement from a different hatchery than what we lost several chicks from.

Are sapphire sky sex linked?? We received one in a shipment and even though it's supposed to be a pullet I'm not familiar with them, just sapphire rocks and those are. I'm currently eyeballing our newest fluff. Didn't mean to hijack thread, just looking for info since hatchery claims non sex linked. These were a two bird replacement from a different hatchery than what we lost several chicks from.
The description from the hatchery where I purchased doesn't say "sex linked". I'm interested in how you make out. I'm pretty sure my chicks are all pullets - however, I had a friend suggest that she thinks that Elsa might be a Cockrel, based on the tail feathers. Personally, I don't see it. Fortunately, if it is - the feed store from where I placed the order, said they know of a farm that will take roos that are unwanted. I'm not allowed to have a roo.

May we see your sapphire sky?

The description from the hatchery where I purchased doesn't say "sex linked". I'm interested in how you make out. I'm pretty sure my chicks are all pullets - however, I had a friend suggest that she thinks that Elsa might be a Cockrel, based on the tail feathers. Personally, I don't see it. Fortunately, if it is - the feed store from where I placed the order, said they know of a farm that will take roos that are unwanted. I'm not allowed to have a roo.

May we see your sapphire sky?
Sure. I'll see if my mom can snap one. If I go through the ring cam the brooder light causes the lighting and color to look slightly wonky. It's not quite feathered out yet. I came back to edit-- the feed store that received the shipment said they all look the same and are hoping they don't have a bunch of baby roos. This is the first year the hatchery they use (Townline) has carried sapphire sky.

Sure. I'll see if my mom can snap one. If I go through the ring cam the brooder light causes the lighting and color to look slightly wonky. It's not quite feathered out yet. I came back to edit-- the feed store that received the shipment said they all look the same and are hoping they don't have a bunch of baby roos. This is the first year the hatchery they use (Townline) has carried sapphire sky.
Well, dang! Good luck to us both!

Back
Top Bottom