ID please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cnterfld21, Jun 4, 2012.

1. cnterfld21

cnterfld21 In the Brooder

When I purchased these two I was told they were Rhode Island pullets but as time passes they appear to be Roos instead ... and after some research I also realize that Rhode Islands aren't suppose to have feathered feet !!! Anyone have a clue what they maty be. Picture was taken today and they are roughly two and half to three months old. Thanks in advance for any help[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Well, sorry to say you are correct. They are not RIR, and they sure look as if they are cockerels. Cochins or cochin/RIR crosses?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Red cochins; I don't see anything that indicates RIR, although for cochins they should have more foot feathering.

4. cnterfld21

Thanks for the help. I've started doing some reading up on Cochins and unfortunately now I have 3 Roos and had only planned for one. Oh well back to the drawing board :)

5. cnterfld21

Also here is another that I am now unsure about. Was told she is a Plymouth Rock but my neighbor says that may not be accurate. He said she looked kind of like a Delaware ??? And by the way out of all the chickens she is by far the most docile. She loves to eat from our hands and likes to walk next to me where ever I go. She is very curious ... LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cnterfld21

Or perhaps a Silver-Laced Wyandotte ??

7. draye

draye Crowing

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    You have yourself a Silver Laced Wyandotte there.

1 person likes this.
  8. cnterfld21

Yeah I figured it out after digging a little deeper and finding some close up photos people had posted. Thanks so much for your help!!!!! Now I have to ID my oldest Roo and I should be good ... LOL and here he is eating from my sons hand. he is so spoiled .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sunflowergirl

Sunflowergirl Songster

Feb 16, 2012
    Quitman, Texas
    Wonder if he is a Buff Orpington???

10. cnterfld21

After looking at quite a few pictures of Buff Orpington I would say that it's a very good possibility. Do they have any very distinctive or easily identifiable markings??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: