Idaho?

How are you guys dealing with this heat? Lost our "big girl" yesterday from it. She died in a mud hole. She was a cross between a white rock and orpington so she was really large..kind of saw it coming. Still very sad.

I am going to put a frozen milk jug in the coop and just try and keep the ground wet. Any other inexpensive suggestions?

Shade
Fans if your coop has power
Ice in their waterer so it is cold for them to drink
fresh melons to eat or frozen treats
a shallow pan of water they can stand in

How are you guys dealing with this heat? Lost our "big girl" yesterday from it. She died in a mud hole. She was a cross between a white rock and orpington so she was really large..kind of saw it coming. Still very sad.

I am going to put a frozen milk jug in the coop and just try and keep the ground wet. Any other inexpensive suggestions?
Lower their protein intake and do NOT put apple cider vinegar in their water during heat waves. Dig a 12 inch deep hole in their run (diameter depending on how many chickens you have) and fill it with sand. Then add a good amount of water to make it cool and damp, not flooded, but damp down deep. Your birds will use this to dust bathe and cool themselves. It works best if the sand pit is in the shade.

Lower their protein intake and do NOT put apple cider vinegar in their water during heat waves. Dig a 12 inch deep hole in their run (diameter depending on how many chickens you have) and fill it with sand. Then add a good amount of water to make it cool and damp, not flooded, but damp down deep. Your birds will use this to dust bathe and cool themselves. It works best if the sand pit is in the shade.
I will try the sand pit idea. They have been getting electrolytes in their water. Ice too. Cold grapes for treats....

So, here is a question.... I have noticed lately that my female Coturnix quail have been really aggressive. They keep beating up the males that I have in with them. I'll go to feed them and find the males head is all bloody and scabby. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you remedy it other than separating them.

So, here is a question.... I have noticed lately that my female Coturnix quail have been really aggressive. They keep beating up the males that I have in with them. I'll go to feed them and find the males head is all bloody and scabby. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you remedy it other than separating them.
That usually happens when they feel over crowded. How many birds / size of pen? Also, with coturnix make sure they never run out of food. It makes them aggressive.

So, here is a question.... I have noticed lately that my female Coturnix quail have been really aggressive.  They keep beating up the males that I have in with them.  I'll go to feed them and find the males head is all bloody and scabby.  Has anyone else experienced this and how do you remedy it other than separating them.

I have this problem with my white ones---but the girls beat on each other, the boy just sits there entertained by the whole thing. I put one gal in my garage last week because she had a spot bleed and I did not want them to go crazy on her. The crowding issue makes sense, I have two flocks in one coop with a divider, and need to take the divider out and just keep one flock. I just cannot choose which group to keep :D

Another thing that can help is entertainment. Do they have a nice sand filled tray? I find if they can sand bathe, it gives them something to do so they are content to lounge around the rest of the day. It doesn't have to be very big. I use this size for trios.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom