Idaho?

We just moved to Idaho Falls a couple weeks ago. We came from Albuquerque where the backyard chicken limit is 15, including 1 allowed rooster. I am having a hard time with the idea of only 6 hens! We are buying a house in Ammon and then we will build our flock. How strict do city officials and neighbors tend to be with the limit in this area? Can you generally get away with more? Also, where is good to buy feed and supplies around here? What breeds do you find do best in this weather? Temperament is important for me. I want good egg layers but I also love the blue eggs and my Ameraucanas in Albuquerque did not lay in the winter at all- winter is about half as long there as it is here. Albuquerque is so nice and warm that it will be like learning to take care of chickens all over again here! Is Dunlap the closest local hatchery? I was hoping not to ship chicks but that is farther than I want to drive. Any other tips for raising chickens here would be appreciated!

I think it depends on your neighbors - I don't think the city officials are too concerned. I just moved from Ammon a little over a year and a half ago (to SoCal and getting a permit for chickens here has been a whole new experience!) and depending on where in Ammon you are, you can have horses, cows, and other livestock too (the older neighborhoods and outlying areas). So most people aren't going to be concerned over a few more hens. I had Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, an EE and a Barred Rock and all did well, but I did have a period of time where no one was laying (it didn't always seem to correlate to winter). I used a nipple waterer system and had a bucket heater in the bucket once it started to freeze with a thermocube on the outlet so the power only came on when it got cold enough. In the winters, I'd tarp the run area of the coop to keep the majority of the snow and wind out. I'd give the chickens an option to roam around the yard in the snow, but they really didn't want to go very far unless I shoveled a path for them!

CAL Ranch is the main feed store in town, and they do get chicks in, so depending on what you're looking for, they might have them.

I'm in Mountain Home
D.gif

Hi everyone, we are in Caldwell (just outside the city limit) I have been unable to find out if there are any ordinances against having a rooster. Does anyone know this info?

McCall, anyone else from here or the area?? Doubt half of you have even heard about McCall.

LOL - I've more than heard of it - grew up just down the highway in Council (not that is a town not many people have ever heard of)....was born in McCall since our hospital stopped delivering babies before I came along. Spent many wonderful days in McCall whether at Brundage in the winter or on the lake in the summer.........worked up there (and even lived up there briefly) two summers. Say, is Lardo's still there?

Back
Top Bottom