Idaho?

my babies came out blue, and fawn & white. look at the shorter ducks here

Last edited:
I am in southern Idaho, Twin Falls. and live on 'the other side of the tracks' where the houses are old and small, the yards are big with old (and as of late new) fruit trees, gardens and lots more chickens than the city knows about <grins> I had 2 wild bronze turkeys for a couple years before they threatened me with huge fines unless I jumped through their hoops. so now I have a 'volunteer' hen maybe a bar-rock mix she was in rough shape when she flew into our yard and we now spoil her rotten!

I am in southern Idaho, Twin Falls. and live on 'the other side of the tracks' where the houses are old and small, the yards are big with old (and as of late new) fruit trees, gardens and lots more chickens than the city knows about I had 2 wild bronze turkeys for a couple years before they threatened me with huge fines unless I jumped through their hoops. so now I have a 'volunteer' hen maybe a bar-rock mix she was in rough shape when she flew into our yard and we now spoil her rotten!
welcome!

We just moved to Idaho Falls a couple weeks ago. We came from Albuquerque where the backyard chicken limit is 15, including 1 allowed rooster. I am having a hard time with the idea of only 6 hens! We are buying a house in Ammon and then we will build our flock. How strict do city officials and neighbors tend to be with the limit in this area? Can you generally get away with more? Also, where is good to buy feed and supplies around here? What breeds do you find do best in this weather? Temperament is important for me. I want good egg layers but I also love the blue eggs and my Ameraucanas in Albuquerque did not lay in the winter at all- winter is about half as long there as it is here. Albuquerque is so nice and warm that it will be like learning to take care of chickens all over again here! Is Dunlap the closest local hatchery? I was hoping not to ship chicks but that is farther than I want to drive. Any other tips for raising chickens here would be appreciated!

We just moved to Idaho Falls a couple weeks ago. We came from Albuquerque where the backyard chicken limit is 15, including 1 allowed rooster. I am having a hard time with the idea of only 6 hens! We are buying a house in Ammon and then we will build our flock. How strict do city officials and neighbors tend to be with the limit in this area? Can you generally get away with more? Also, where is good to buy feed and supplies around here? What breeds do you find do best in this weather? Temperament is important for me. I want good egg layers but I also love the blue eggs and my Ameraucanas in Albuquerque did not lay in the winter at all- winter is about half as long there as it is here. Albuquerque is so nice and warm that it will be like learning to take care of chickens all over again here! Is Dunlap the closest local hatchery? I was hoping not to ship chicks but that is farther than I want to drive. Any other tips for raising chickens here would be appreciated!
I can't answer all of your questions but I suggest joining the Backyard Chickens Of East Idaho facebook group, there are a lot of people on there that could help you plus some good breeders.

Back
Top Bottom