idea for meds!

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - I posted recently about needing ideas for administering meds to a chicken who is injured and i am reluctant to handle her to syringe feed her. I did the meds in blueberries and in corn kernels but she grew sick of those. I did find a cool solution if it helps others. I took the pill and smashed it between two spoons. Then I put it in a soda cap with a few drops of water and dissolved it. Then I took that, put it in a 1/8 cup measuring cup and threw in about 15 dried meal worms. I mixed 'em up really thoroughly and coated all the worms and let them absorb the liquid for a few minutes. Then I gave it to her and she gobbled them up in two seconds. There was not a drop left. She even pecked out any liquid left in search of crumbs. Hope this helps someone else!

Good idea. Whatever works to get the meds into them. Giving most meds orally in liquid or tablet form is pretty easy, but if it is too difficult, I use a small amount of scrambled egg, cream cheese, canned cat food pate, liverwurst, or other food to hide meds.

Good idea. Whatever works to get the meds into them. Giving most meds orally in liquid or tablet form is pretty easy, but if it is too difficult, I use a small amount of scrambled egg, cream cheese, canned cat food pate, liverwurst, or other food to hide meds.
Ha that is funny - I give my dog's meds in cream cheese but never thought about it for my hen! I should try that because too many meal worms is not good for her liver. Thanks for the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom