1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Idea for turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicktasticvt, Mar 19, 2008.

1. chicktasticvt

chicktasticvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Bennington, VT
    I' definatly no pro on incubating eggs, but i had an idea for turning the eggs with out opening the bator.
    Has anyone ever seen a sandblaster?
    Well if you havent there are gloves attached to the side wall that you put your hands in from the outside. i wonder if this would work for a bator. I will have to try and see if it will work.
    Just an idea![​IMG]

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I would probably work.

Falls in the category of "busy work".

There really is no harmfull effect when you open an incubator to turn eggs. It might be problematic in a still air incubator during the last 3 days, but you will have ceased turning by then.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We "cheated" and have an automatic egg turner. It's much easier than trying to modify a bator or turning them by hand, in my opinion.

Dawn

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    That's an idea-I would probably fumble and break one!

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave in and got an auto, too.

6. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Me too! The turner's are better n peanut butter!!!! [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I have two bators, one with a turner and one without. I'm not obsessive about not opening either one because the hens get off the eggs whenever they feel like it. I don't open it for long periods many times a day, but I also don't put an alarm on the suckers to see if anyone else might be peeking!

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    A friend of mine has an old incubator made out of wood.It has several holes all in a line spaced very close together,I thought it looked wierd but once I figured it out it is very practical.The holes were for dowel rods that run through the bator and are used for turning the eggs.The eggs sit on these dowelrods like a shelf and you can turn them from the outside.
    Anybody ever seen something like this? Will

9. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    WriterofWords wrote:
    I'm not obsessive about not opening either one because the hens get off the eggs whenever they feel like it.

I agree. There is some evidence that suggests it is better to open the incubator at least once a day, that the short cooling mimics the hen getting off the nest and enhances hatches.​

10. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I like to turn mine by hand. makes me feel like i actually accomplished something when I see them moving around in the shell. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by