Idea for turning eggs

chicktasticvt

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Bennington, VT
I' definatly no pro on incubating eggs, but i had an idea for turning the eggs with out opening the bator.
Has anyone ever seen a sandblaster?
Well if you havent there are gloves attached to the side wall that you put your hands in from the outside. i wonder if this would work for a bator. I will have to try and see if it will work.
Just an idea!
wink.png

I would probably work.

Falls in the category of "busy work".

There really is no harmfull effect when you open an incubator to turn eggs. It might be problematic in a still air incubator during the last 3 days, but you will have ceased turning by then.

We "cheated" and have an automatic egg turner. It's much easier than trying to modify a bator or turning them by hand, in my opinion.

Dawn

I have two bators, one with a turner and one without. I'm not obsessive about not opening either one because the hens get off the eggs whenever they feel like it. I don't open it for long periods many times a day, but I also don't put an alarm on the suckers to see if anyone else might be peeking!

A friend of mine has an old incubator made out of wood.It has several holes all in a line spaced very close together,I thought it looked wierd but once I figured it out it is very practical.The holes were for dowel rods that run through the bator and are used for turning the eggs.The eggs sit on these dowelrods like a shelf and you can turn them from the outside.
Anybody ever seen something like this? Will

WriterofWords wrote:
I'm not obsessive about not opening either one because the hens get off the eggs whenever they feel like it.

I agree. There is some evidence that suggests it is better to open the incubator at least once a day, that the short cooling mimics the hen getting off the nest and enhances hatches.​

Back
Top Bottom