IDEA!!!! Rotating Lazy Susan Nest Boxes!!!

Quote:
Ooo....I LIKE that idea!! Now, if only I was an engineer. I might have to pull my 10 year old LEGO master in for that one. He makes all kinds of automatic things with his LEGOs.
smile.png

Quote:
Just the other day I was driving down the road and spotted the insert for one of those corner cabinets that goes under the counter in the kitchent. OMG i said to myself that would be an excellent nest box set up. It even had the wood around the back formed in an arch. You could divide up the nesting shelves into three partitions. Then simply rotate the hen around so the next partition was clear... Viola. And you could put an access hole on the back to allow you to collect eggs if you were so inclined.

Not too much time on my hands.... Not not Not......
lau.gif
gig.gif

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Just the other day I was driving down the road and spotted the insert for one of those corner cabinets that goes under the counter in the kitchent. OMG i said to myself that would be an excellent nest box set up. It even had the wood around the back formed in an arch. You could divide up the nesting shelves into three partitions. Then simply rotate the hen around so the next partition was clear... Viola. And you could put an access hole on the back to allow you to collect eggs if you were so inclined.

Not too much time on my hands.... Not not Not......
lau.gif
gig.gif

Heehee! That is awesome! Doesn't that sound so wonderful? No more cackling ticked of hens? lol​

I'm actually surprised that your hen didn't just climb in to the occupied nest box and just cuddle in.
I have had as many as 4 hens dog-piled into one nest box while the other two boxes sat empty.
There is usually no privacy for them.
Maybe your squawky girl just doesn't like to share.
Or maybe she is just hanging around to cheer her sister hen on.
It may not be complaining you hear, she might be coaching.

And a person doesn't have to have too much time on their hands to have a creative mind.

Love it too! We have 10 nest boxer that was my grandmothers. I gussied it up with new metal bottoms my husband fixed up and painted it, put new wood slats in the front and painted those too and . . . . they all sit on bottom 2nd from right box.
hu.gif
This sounds like a really cool idea. I saw someone's nest boxes here that were in a corner and they were divided, this would be similar but rotating, very cool.

Thanks for everyone's support for my crazy (but creative) idea. I wanted to update all of you. Yesterday after my hen (Millie) FINALLY got her spot, she laid a HUGE egg. I'm not really familiar with the size of a duck egg but if I had to describe it, that would be it. The poor girl! Good thing she is a big girl (Buff Orpington). She had every right to squak and then some!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom