Ideal chicks arrived - need help identifying them UPDATE - photos!

verlaj

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Micanopy, Florida
I just got my very first mail order chicks from Ideal today. I ordered 5 each of the following - all pullets.

Columbian Wyandottes
Welsummers
Barnevelders
Speckled Sussex
Partridge Rocks
Ameracaunas (well, Easter Eggers, I guess, from what I read here)

31 were shipped; 6 were DOA. 2 of the DOA were Columbian Wyandottes. I can identify the surviving Wyandottes and the Partridge Rocks, but except for one very light chick with faint brown striping, all the rest look like variations on the same theme - chipmunk stripes! I can't identify the other 4 dead chicks - I'm fearing they are all Speckled Sussex, because they are lighter in color than the other chipmunk striped ones.

Some have yellow bellies, some have gray bellies, some have more distinct, contrasty stripes on their backs than others, which are more dark brown with light gray/brown stripes. A lot have black eyeliner, some have more of a wide brown stipe that runs through their eyes. None have "white eyeliner" completely around the eyes that I have seen pictured on BYC for Barnevelders.

I have looked at the pictures I have accumulated of these chick breeds - can't really tell by comparing mine to those.

At the moment I really want to identify the dead chicks so I can let Ideal know which ones didn't make it. Can anyone give me guidance on how to tell the Welsummers, Barnevelders, Sussex, and Ameracaunas apart?

I anticipate a request for photos! I'm heading off to get the camera now!

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't be of much help...but here is a pic of my 2 baby Ameraucanas (EE's) from Ideal. I don't know if yours look just like mine or not, since they can be so unpredictable. Look for the green-tinted legs... I don't have any of your other breeds.

19371_picture_010jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my speckled sussex chicks(other 2 are dominickers).:)You might be able to compare a bit and figure it out,other than this I'm not too much help.

29579_chickens_027.jpg

Last edited:
Not to forget the point of the thread, but the hatchery doesn't care which chicks died...they'll refund you the money either way. They won't send replacements.
sad.png

Have you checked out feathersite? They have tons of pics of each breed including pics of chicks.

EE's usually have poofy cheeks and greenish/slate colored legs. Can't help on the other ones. Sorry about the ones that died.
sad.png

Last edited:
I think I have identified the EEs - by the greenish leg color mostly. A couple have a little bit poofy cheeks.

I think I have identified the Barnevelders - I did find some with white eyerings - either full or partial. They have very contrasty dark and wide white chipmunk stripes and a reticulated dark pattern on their faces.

Still not sure whether I have one live Welsummer and 5 live Sp. Sussex, or the other way around! The one live one that looks most like the 4 unidentified dead ones is the prettiest chick of all - very feminine in appearance.

I won't be able to put photos on line until tonight, but I will sort them the way I think they belong in groups and post to get your opinions.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Here's a bunch of my welsummers as babies. Maybe this pic will help you pic out your welsummers. These are Ideal babies, so this is pretty close to what yours should look like:
P3180012.jpg

Photos coming soon, but now I am pretty sure it was Welsummers that died. The one chick that is clearly different from the other "chipmunk" chicks is the prettiest one of all - and very much like yours. Very pretty chicks you have!

Thanks. They're 7.5 weeks old now, and getting prettier. Can't wait til they start laying. I wonder if they're a little fragile as chicks. I lost 3 of the 10 that I ordered.

22119_dsc_0330.jpg

Starting easy - first time posting pictures - here are the Columbian Wyandotte survivors

I can't figure out how to update the topic to mention there are pics now- any advice?

Back
Top Bottom