Ideal Hatchery Question??

ChicksinBoise

Songster
13 Years
Jun 14, 2007
When ordering, how long before chicks are shipped and how old are they when shipped?

Also, If I order 11 Leghorns are there chances that they will throw in "warmers"?

Has anybody ordered their "Ideal 236" variety? They say they are the best layers...that's what we want.
lol.png

Thanks everyone!!

When did you tell them you want them? They will usually send them when you want them if they have them available. Give them a date and they are pretty good about getting them out to you. I got a confirmation call. Some don't. You can always call them though to place your order and ask your questions at that time. If you are only ordering 11 (and I assume by your name that you live in Boise) they may include some. Aran bought 14 chicks a couple of weeks back for delivery in Upstate New York and they did not send warmers. With your fewer numbers they may want to send some--it really depends on the weather and the number of chicks ordered.

When I ordered Cornish Rocks I did get 6 extras but that was in the end of February. It is considerably warmer now. In retrospect, I wish I had just ordered more of the Cornish Rocks so I didn't have the extras to deal with.

They hatch in the wee hours of the morning, are sexed that morning and go out in the early afternoon (I assume, since you can do a pick up order starting at 1 P.M.) so that would be considered day ol chicks--kinda sounds like day old bread.
lol.png

Thanks BirdBrain! Ha haa, I like the name.
big_smile.png

Well, I haven't ordered yet. I will probably place my order tomorrow.

So does anybody have any of the "Ideal 236's"?

Hey chicksinboise, if you haven't placed your order yet: there is a Dunlap hatchery in Caldwell. You can pick chicks up there. Most of my birdies are from there, that I got from my local feed store.
Do a google search for Dunlap.
Dunlap Hatchery
Box 507, 4703 E. Cleveland Blvd.
Caldwell, ID 83606
208-459-9088
fax: 208-455-0665

I have not yet received my order from Ideal... but I made sure to put a comment NOT to ship chicks for warmth.
I ordered 11 total.
The reply I got back was that 2 would not be available, and I need to pick something else - I'm going with ducks.

My order will be shipped on August 8th.

My order of 12-turned out to be 13-one for warmth--was suppose to ship out May 30th so I thought they would be here the 31st or 1st. WRONG. They got here on the 29th! I was ready so it was okay and I was so excited anyways. It was like giving birth the day before you due date!

I ordered 2 goslings and 1 duck and they forgot the duck and only shipped the two goslings. The good thing is that there were no chicks for warmth and they were really healthy. They are sending my duck on wednesday.

Quote:
How much are chicks from Dunlap? What kind do you have?

I may order from Meyer as I want some golden buffs and Dunlap doesn't have any of those.

Depending on the price of chicks from Dunlap, we will see.

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I have the 'males for warmth'- all Ideal 236's. They are quite beautiful, really. I won't be keeping all of them (they sent 7 with my order of 11). In the warmer months, I don't think they send so many extras, plus, if you go ahead and order closer to 20 birds, they may not add any males at all.

I've also ordered the "White-Only White" Leghorn pullets from Ideal. They are also nice looking birds.

Here's a pic of one of mine:

DSC01746.jpg

Back
Top Bottom