Ideal Hatchery....wait time?

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
So I contacted Ideal Hatchery a few days ago with some questions regarding ordering from them. They happen to have ALL of the birds I'd like to get, AND I can get the chicks and ducklings sent at the same time. McMurray, who I usually order through, does not ship chicks and ducklings together.

I Emailed them with a few questions (regarding shipping costs mostly), but I've read some posts on here where people order and have to wait months for their chicks (not Ideal, just in general). So that had me kind of worried. I'd like to place and order, but I don't want to place an order and find out I have to wait until May-June to get my chicks.

How big is Ideal? Are my chances of getting chicks before April/May realistic? They have not written me back. Honestly, sometimes that is a test for me to a business also. If they respond to Emails. If they do, they pass. If they don't, that gives me an idea of what customer service might be like. Not necessarily...but I do consider that...

I've heard great things about Ideal, and may call them to get answers to my questions. I do know I don't want to commit to an order unless I know an estimated ship time.

Thanks!

Ok, I JUST got a reply....and seems I can get chicks as early as February. Good to know. I would really like to make a decision and order this week yet....ugh. I'm looking at Cackle Hatchery now too, the only downside is they don't offer sexed Cayugas. And I also don't know if they ship chicks and ducklings together.

Angie

I believe Cackle does ship chicks and ducklings together--I got ducklings, chicks and poults all in one box.

I think you are always best off calling the hatcheries to place your order if you have special needs.

Thank you for the reply.

I just placed my order with Ideal Hatchery this afternoon. I went with them because they offered all of the breeds I was interested in, and also offered sexed Cayuga ducklings. I think their chick prices are very good, their shipping prices ended up not being unreasonable at all, and I am able to get my chicks/ducklings sooner than if I'd have gone with Cackle. Also, Cackle required a minimum order of bantams (25 for Feb/March and 15 through the summer). I guess I assumed they would be shipped with the other chicks. McMurray didn't get my business because I had to ship the ducks separately. So thankfully Ideal won over everyone else. I've also heard excellent things about their birds.

Now, I'm excited!! But gives me plenty of time to build a new, larger brooder.

I ordered from both Ideal and Cackle this year. I couldn't resist the Cackle Hatchery Surprise again. I ordered a few breeds from Ideal that were cheaper there plus didn't have the minimum requirement of 5 of each breed.

Back
Top Bottom