Ideal Hatchery

Has anyone had experience with having chicks shipped from Ideal Hatchery?
We ordered chicks from ideal last winter. They shipped on time, and sent exactly what we ordered. We ordered a mixed box of buff orpingtons and barred rocks. One buff orp was DOA and customer service was very responsive and refunded the cost of that chick. All the other birds are thriving today - they are healthy hens and great layers. We ordered all pullets and they all were, unlike the birds we got from TSC a few years ago to start our flock.

Ideal is one of the better ones, but be aware that the USPS is taking longer and longer to deliver anything and right now it's sort of a dice roll whether live chicks arrive really fast or delayed too long. Don't mean to be discouraging...just been seeing way too many sad stories of delayed chick shipments.

I don't think this is true. To choose a breed at random, I could get California Whites all the way through from next week into January.

I don't know if they limit where they ship to at certain times of the year or not.

Ideal is one of the better hatcheries, but I don't think they ship until spring because it's so late in the year.
They ship some breeds all year long, but some other breeds are only available in the spring and early summer.

I've ordered from Ideal several times during the last decade or so, and been pretty pleased: chicks mostly alive and healthy, sexes mostly correct, breeds mostly correct. I've ordered from several other hatcheries too, and I would say Ideal is as good as the other ones I've tried. I think they do remarkably well, considering that they have to incubate the eggs, predict what will hatch so they can sell the right number, sex & pack the chicks, and then ship them through the Post Office!

Back
Top Bottom