Ideal hatchery?

UBkevy

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Buffalo
I have never ordered from a hatchery before and after doing some research I think Ideal would be the best for what I am looking for. Does anyone have much info on them? I hear there is no minimum number as long as there is a $25 purchase and that they will fill the box with males to keep them warm. I also wonder is I am looking for a few bantams like 3-4 would they mix them with the standard chickens? How is there quality and survivability?

I have ordered from the once before- and the chicks did fine. They are typical hatchery birds- not stunning in conformation or feathering. But they lay fine, and arrived fine. Typical for shipped chicks- there was one squished in the box, and a few that were weak- but perked right up when warmed/watered/fed. Make sure your post office will call you immediately when they arrive- so you can go immediately and pick them up from the annex if possible. Mine called me at 2am!

I have ordered from Ideal many many times over the years. I have never placed a small order though. Their customer service has always been wonderful and all my orders have been great. Once I think I lost 4 in transit but that was an order of 200 birds so I don't think losing 4 is all that bad in this case. I have never gotten a wrong order from them. Once I thought I got 50 males instead of 50 females and they allowed me to send pictures and offered a full refund with a discount on my next order but the lady that reviewed my pictures assured me they were all female. She was right and I only ended up with one roo from that group. I highly recommend using Ideal.

I'm very happy with the 26 Dark Cornish they sent me this summer. They are all healthy, happy birds. I would definitely use them again if the need arose.

I love Ideal!! They have wonderful costumer service, and a huge selection of birds at great prices. In three orders of 20-30 chicks each, I only had three losses and they refunded my money for them. I ordered twice in January and once in June.

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." --Groucho Marx

I love this!!! I HATE TV! I actually cancelled our satellite over a year ago, and couldn't be happier! My husband has been begging me to get it back but I refuse! And he HATES when I read.
roll.png

Sorry to get off topic!!!​

Last edited:
I ordered 35 Cornish X from Ideal last week. They were hatched this Wednesday and I got a call from the PO a little after 7am Thursday telling me to come get them. Later in the day I got a call from Ideal. There was a problem with my email addy and they wanted me to know the chicks had shipped. I thought that was great customer service.

The chicks are all lively and healthy. I think the fact that they were only one day in transit helped. As soon as they were released into the brooder they started eating and drinking and running around. I am very happy with both the chicks and Ideal. you can be sure I will order from them again.

Our local feed store purchased day old chicks from Ideal last spring to sell. We ended up with 40 chicks, 25 buff orpington, 5 barred rock, 5 rhode island red, and 5 black austrolorp. We only lost one while they were chicks. They are all grown and healthy birds now and the hens all started laying eggs about 3 months ago. I especially like the buff orpingtons. We now get enough eggs daily to keep relatives and neighbors and friends happy.I would definately order from them if I needed more birds next spring.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom