Ideal hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by UBkevy, Nov 1, 2009.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I have never ordered from a hatchery before and after doing some research I think Ideal would be the best for what I am looking for. Does anyone have much info on them? I hear there is no minimum number as long as there is a $25 purchase and that they will fill the box with males to keep them warm. I also wonder is I am looking for a few bantams like 3-4 would they mix them with the standard chickens? How is there quality and survivability?

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I have ordered from the once before- and the chicks did fine. They are typical hatchery birds- not stunning in conformation or feathering. But they lay fine, and arrived fine. Typical for shipped chicks- there was one squished in the box, and a few that were weak- but perked right up when warmed/watered/fed. Make sure your post office will call you immediately when they arrive- so you can go immediately and pick them up from the annex if possible. Mine called me at 2am!

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I have ordered from Ideal many many times over the years. I have never placed a small order though. Their customer service has always been wonderful and all my orders have been great. Once I think I lost 4 in transit but that was an order of 200 birds so I don't think losing 4 is all that bad in this case. I have never gotten a wrong order from them. Once I thought I got 50 males instead of 50 females and they allowed me to send pictures and offered a full refund with a discount on my next order but the lady that reviewed my pictures assured me they were all female. She was right and I only ended up with one roo from that group. I highly recommend using Ideal.

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I'm very happy with the 26 Dark Cornish they sent me this summer. They are all healthy, happy birds. I would definitely use them again if the need arose.

5. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I love Ideal!! They have wonderful costumer service, and a huge selection of birds at great prices. In three orders of 20-30 chicks each, I only had three losses and they refunded my money for them. I ordered twice in January and once in June.

6. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." --Groucho Marx

I love this!!! I HATE TV! I actually cancelled our satellite over a year ago, and couldn't be happier! My husband has been begging me to get it back but I refuse! And he HATES when I read. [​IMG]

Sorry to get off topic!!!​

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I ordered 35 Cornish X from Ideal last week. They were hatched this Wednesday and I got a call from the PO a little after 7am Thursday telling me to come get them. Later in the day I got a call from Ideal. There was a problem with my email addy and they wanted me to know the chicks had shipped. I thought that was great customer service.

The chicks are all lively and healthy. I think the fact that they were only one day in transit helped. As soon as they were released into the brooder they started eating and drinking and running around. I am very happy with both the chicks and Ideal. you can be sure I will order from them again.

8. bitsy101

bitsy101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Mississippi
    Our local feed store purchased day old chicks from Ideal last spring to sell. We ended up with 40 chicks, 25 buff orpington, 5 barred rock, 5 rhode island red, and 5 black austrolorp. We only lost one while they were chicks. They are all grown and healthy birds now and the hens all started laying eggs about 3 months ago. I especially like the buff orpingtons. We now get enough eggs daily to keep relatives and neighbors and friends happy.I would definately order from them if I needed more birds next spring.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by