Ideal Hatchery's BIG mistake

pinguin

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
SW IL
Naively, I ordered chicks early in January from Ideal to be shipped towards the end of February. I assumed that hatcheries know best when to ship chicks safely. But as reports came in to BYC of dead chicks, I became more & more concerned about the ship date. When Ideal called early in February to ask if it was alright to move the ship date back to mid-March, I happily agreed.

My husband & I went out of town over this past weekend, so made arrangements with neighbors to look in on our chickens & pick up the mail. On Saturday, I got an email from my neighbor. There was a note with in our mailbox which said the chicks were dead "on delivery" to the post office on Saturday morning; our carrier left the box of chicks on our porch.

I was very upset & angry. How on earth could Ideal have shipped the chicks a full month early & not bothered to tell me?? I emailed customer support that evening & got a reply the next day, from Missy. She apologized for the error. When the new date was sent to shipping, it was mistakenly entered as 2/18, not 3/18. Missy was polite & sympathetic on the phone--no quibbling about the charge nor did she ask for any paperwork.

After thinking about it for 2 days, I decided not to reorder from Ideal, not till they have a better system in place to notify customers & track shipments. Missy told me that tracking, through the USPS, is in progress but will take time to fully implement.

While I know that backyard chicken enthusiasts, like so many on BYC, are not the bread & butter of hatcheries, surely hatcheries can't afford to reship chicks and/or refund orders. Perhaps if everyone who orders from a hatchery would stress how important it is to know when chicks have shipped, hatcheries would get their collective rears in gear & do so. It might not have mattered years ago, not when the USPS took the shipment of live animals more seriously & before they outsourced much of their shipping, but it does, now.

I'm sorry to hear about your chicks being lost, that's so sad for those poor babies. I do know that Ideal does a very large volume of hatching/shipping, and they are still operated by human beings, so a mistake, even one as devasting as yours, is possible. Humans make errors.

I have always found them to be more than accomodating though when something does go wrong. This has been a rough year weather wise and hard on everything that is shipped. I would talk to Missy again and tell her your concerns; I personally do believe they care.

And I believe that a large majority of their buyers, second to the feed store type companies, are the backyard poultry keepers. Most exhibition breeders deal in exhibition quality stock, not production or commercial stock which usually comes from the hatcheries.

Julie @ High Roost Ranch

I have had good dealings with them as well and found them to be very accomadating. I had some dead chick issues and they made it right for me. Lots of issues when shipping chicks and several are beyond their control...and we all make mistakes...it is how we deal with those mistakes that show our character

So Sorry for your loss. I have ordered 3 times from Ideal and just placed my 4th order. I have always had good experiences. Even if a few are lost they refunded for the DOA ducklings. The rest have all been healthy and strong. And I am pleased with their customer service they seem to want to make things right. I would give them anouther chance but thats just me. This sounds like a mistake that any of the hatcherys could have made.

I've ordered from ideal countless times and I love them... I have a few chicks die here and there, but can't expect much diffrant from anywhere else I suppose. They seem to be having a ruff year this year.... maybe a new employee??

I would give them another chance. Everyone makes mistakes...

Ideal is usually really good about orders. i've ordered several times from them. Missy has helped me before. she's a polite person with good service skills.

mistakes do happen sometimes with any company.

hope your next experience with chicks is better.
smile.png

seems to me they were very easy to deal with, mistakes can happen I would not ban a hatchery for that. It is sad though poor chicks.

Last edited:
Oh, I'll give them another chance, but not till they have their notification/tracking system in place. I couldn't have asked for better customer service. That's not the issue. As Teach97 wrote, the measure of a company is as much after the sale as it is in the product.

I've learned so much from the experiences--and the mistakes--of other BYCers. I can only hope that writing about what happened with my order could help prevent the deaths of other chicks.

It's unfortunate it happened, but I would give them the option of making it right. If they didn't make it right by me, then I'd not use them again. I don't think they would be in business as long as they have with the following they do by not correcting their mistakes!
welcome-byc.gif

maybe you can just give them another try but tell them what happened last time and that you would order from them if they coudl give you a call before delivery.i bet they coudl do that.

Back
Top Bottom