Ideal order had a deformed chick

cadman68

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2007
Middle TN
One of the chicks has a cross beak and blind in one eye but it was a packing peanut so that one doesn't bother me much. The other one is a cochin and she has webbing in between two of her toes on each foot. It has her toes pulled together closer than normal and could cause feet problems later. My question is has anyone every attempted to cut the webbing on a chicks foot in order to correct this deformity? Or do you think it can or should be done?

if the chick is able to walk around with no problem I would leave it be. You should google chicken with webbed feet. From what I read this is a genetic mishap.

this one seems to be getting along just fine

070130094845_01-30-07-chicken-duck.jpg

The one i am talking about has the same type of webbing as the pic you posted except it is only webbed between the middle and outside toes. It also has the middle toe pulled to the outside and the middle toe nail is at a 45 degree angle to the outside of the foot. I will try and post a pic when i get home this afternoon.

If you're keeping them for pets, they'll be fine...make sure that the blind one has it's food in the same place all the time.
As for Webster, I wouldn't worry as long as he can get around and the others don't pick on him.
Even cross beaks can do well if you keep it trimmed enough so that the edges meet up better.

Chickens seem to do well with disabilities. It's like the don't even notice. I have a crossbeak who's top beak and bottom beak are at a 90 deg angle from each other. Still growing and eating too. It'll go the way of the rooster though since It's no good for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom