Ideal Poultry Bantam Assortment- picture heavy

Aww..I haven't had a Japanese rooster before but my Cochin rooster was loud. The only rooster I had that was kind of quiet was a silkie who had a somewhat deformed crow. I had him in a box in the garage and took him out at the latest possible time every morning but I had to rehome him before I moved because I didn't want to put my remaining family who still lives there through the trouble of taking a flashlight out and putting him in the box each night and taking him out each morning. I suppose you could keep him until about 6 months after he has fathered some chicks then rehome him or "borrow" a rooster from someone but that could be more difficult if the hens aren't used to the rooster plus having to quarantine it.

Aww..I haven't had a Japanese rooster before but my Cochin rooster was loud. The only rooster I had that was kind of quiet was a silkie who had a somewhat deformed crow. I had him in a box in the garage and took him out at the latest possible time every morning but I had to rehome him before I moved because I didn't want to put my remaining family who still lives there through the trouble of taking a flashlight out and putting him in the box each night and taking him out each morning. I suppose you could keep him until about 6 months after he has fathered some chicks then rehome him or "borrow" a rooster from someone but that could be more difficult if the hens aren't used to the rooster plus having to quarantine it.
Very true, maybe I'll take him off my bachelor list... I did get a black silkie on a whim in my last batch of chicks (to beef up pullet numbers from the roo-palooza), we'll have to see how it turns!

I have a btw Japanese rooster and he is the sweetest, most gentle rooster I ever had. His crow isn't too bad at all. He's also very gentle with his ladies. I vote keep him :thumbsup
I have two to choose from, one is flashy and friendly, the other smaller and independent, though I'd love to keep both if they'd play nice but there might not be enough hens to share. I guess the best boy will win!

Back
Top Bottom