Ideal Poultry question??

Millie and May’s Place

In the Brooder
May 7, 2018
Issaquah, WA
So almost two weeks ago I received a shipment of fifteen bantam chicks from Ideal Poultry. They arrived healthy enough, but they were always doing the unhappy cheeping, which should’ve been a red flag. Over the next week, six died. Of the other nine, all of them are pretty darn sick, and a couple appear to be teetering on the edge. Ideal Poultry was very nice, and offered me enough credits to get a shipment of six Salmon Faverolles(five pullets and 1 cockerel). My question is, how likely am I to have the entire order die off? I don’t think I could stand it if they did. :fl

Do u check symptoms like mites , lice Or other symptoms like sneezing coughing gargling breath ? Or u check for Marek's?

So almost two weeks ago I received a shipment of fifteen bantam chicks from Ideal Poultry. They arrived healthy enough, but they were always doing the unhappy cheeping, which should’ve been a red flag. Over the next week, six died. Of the other nine, all of them are pretty darn sick, and a couple appear to be teetering on the edge. Ideal Poultry was very nice, and offered me enough credits to get a shipment of six Salmon Faverolles(five pullets and 1 cockerel). My question is, how likely am I to have the entire order die off? I don’t think I could stand it if they did. :fl

Do u check symptoms like mites , lice Or other symptoms like sneezing coughing gargling breath ? Or u check for Marek's?

No, none of those symptoms. They’re vaccinated for Mareks disease, too. They just have really bad pasty butt/diarrhea. They act listless and droopy, then they die. I think most of the remaining ones are going to make it, though.

Horrible horrible news I'm sorry to hear that..

Did you fix the Pasty butt though they definitely could die from pasty butt!

No, none of those symptoms. They’re vaccinated for Mareks disease, too. They just have really bad pasty butt/diarrhea. They act listless and droopy, then they die. I think most of the remaining ones are going to make it, though.
Pasty butt can be caused from TOO hot or too cold in the brooder.
What is the temp in your brooder?

Do you happen to have other adult birds on the property too?
Coccidiosis comes to mind too.
Can you pick up some Corid today?

I’ve ordered many times from ideal, only 2 died in a shipment of 25 bantams. But I haven’t ordered any chickens in about 5 years (moved to a condo). Agree that pasty butt could be from temps. What type of bantams did you get?

I too have used Ideal and never had a loss.
Once the chicks get to their new home their new owner can unintentionally do things that cause death.
Not saying this is what happened but I am not a fan of when people automatically blame a hatchery.

Ideal stock is usually healthy when it arrives at my parents' house (PA) but they don't order bantams. I just don't use Ideal (in my two experiences, their breed quality stinks. If I'm ordering purebred chickens, they'd better look like purebred chickens.)

i have ordered from Idea several times. Bantams are really delicate. the shipping is VERY hard on them. i see you are in WA. that is a very far distance. i am in CA. which is little closer but i have had many bantam die. Especially my spitzhaubens. maybe weak stock? i don't think i ever had a serious issue with pasty butt..always one or two, maybe 3..i have taken to getting fertile eggs and hatching or getting locally OR let the feed stores get them in and they absorb the deaths and spare you witnessing.... . you can't get them sexed anyway so may as well hatch!

Around where I live I'm considered the "hatchery" place along with a few other guys I know cause between us all and that is 5 of use we hatch around 6000 chicks per year all of mine are delivered by a poultry cauriour but about 2 weeks ago a guy who bought 24 PB dutch bantams had the same prob pasty butt and I had to send him more chicks in replace but I done it my self and I just think it's the heat cause in big vans the last things the driver is going to do is stop and open the door s to let air in so it prob not ur fault but the deliver guy

Back
Top Bottom