Ideal poultry

aaronzclark

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Simpsonville South Carolina
Okay so I bought 25 chicks from cackle and they are about 3-4 months old and for some reason they are dropping like flies so i only have about 14 left so i decided i'm gonna order me a few more from Ideal i was gonna get me 10 brahmas and 5 aracuanas but i also decided i want about 5 ducks do you guys know if Ideal will ship ducks with chicks? and has anyone ever used them?

No, ducks are in a separate order, they hatch on different dates. I have ordered from them many times, both ducklings & chicks. Maybe it depends on the breeds of ducks/chicks? Please disregard my original post about MG, I spoke with the owner, and he said Ideal has been MG+ for many years and intends to stay that way, as most flocks are already MG+, so bringing MG clean birds into your MG + flock could kill the clean birds, as they have no immunity built up. MG+ birds have immunity built up against the disease. FYI, Ideal is by far my favorite hatchery out of all of them. Their customer service is excellent, and they have nice birds. So it is up to us to make an informed decision. In light of this, I will continue to buy from them as long as my Dept. of Ag lets me.
smile.png

Last edited:
They ship them together but I myself prefer purelypoultry.. The ducks I got from ideal were sickly, and lost 2 of them within the first few days. I havnt lost any from purelypoultry and they were all active when they got here

I've never ordered ducks, but i have ordered chicks from Ideal. I ordered 11 chicks in June. I haven't lost any due to illness. (lost two that escaped and were eaten by predator)
they were all healthy when i received them and had no problems. I ordered a pullet surprise and there was one roo in the bunch (at least it looks like a roo) Even in this small order they gave me 7 different breeds of chicks.

I ordered from them because I wanted to order fewer than what most of the hatcheries allow. I was very pleased and have a second order coming in Sept

As to the MG, you should read this thread, it has most of the information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=219205&p=1

I live in Ohio and went to Meyer to get my 10 EEs there. I lost one right away and two others are severly scissor beaked, so I have 7 good pullets out of 10.

I must say the scissor beaks are my favorites. The jump up on my arm as I walk to my coop.

In the past 6 weeks, we bought three seperate orders of 100 pullets from Ideal and aside from the 3 that were DOA, we have only lost 3 more. In reality they sent 4-6 extra per shipment so, we still have more than the 300 we ordered. Within this same time frame, we bought approx 60 from local feed stores (non use ideal) and we have lost arround 7 or 8 of them and 6-8 are roos and they were suposed to be pullets.

I like Ideal, there service is great and I suspect that you would be hard pressed to find a PROVEN incident of a death from MG from an Ideal bird.

Back
Top Bottom