Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
Hi everybody, sorry to hear about loosing so many chicks! I ordered mine in Febuary of last year and I only lost two from a dog (not counting 3 that made it to the dinner table). I plan to order from ideal again. Last year I got 6 Buff Orpingtons, and 3 barred hollands. They included 14 or so dark brahma roosters as packing peanuts, 1 turned out to be a hen. But here are my 10 month old birds from ideal
64188969.jpg

87a70607.jpg

e91a3852.jpg

f5468a90.jpg

8465864e.jpg

We have only gotten down to freezing once this year where I'm from, tonight will be the second night, but the tolerate the cold very well, and are still laying strong. About 6 eggs a day from the 9 hens.
ca54b7ba.jpg

What breeds are y'all ordering?

I'm hoping to order some Saipan Jungle Fowl and a few white egg layers in spring. Just hope the PO will get them here OK. They have gotten worse in recent years, last time I ordered I opened the box in front of them, told them there were several dead chicks, and they wouldn't do anything about it.

I had also considered buying hatching eggs from Ebay, but it's such a gamble. Year before last I ordered Brahma eggs and nearly all hatched, and other batches I ordered, had only one or two hatch. So since I want to start with a new breed I'd rather order from a hatchery. It's also nice to be able to order all females for laying hens.

I have to vent a bit about Ideal. I wanted to get some chicks started so my layers could be replaced this year. I really wanted 1/2 Buff Orps, 1/2 Black Australorps but the buffs were sold out. I procrastinated too long. Well, I got 30 chicks. It only took 1 day to get them. This is the first time I've ordered chicks and had some DOA. Also, no heat pack was included. First for that but I don't think I've ordered from Ideal before.

The chicks arrived on the 8th. There were 4 DOA. 1 Died later that day. I've lost 2 since then. I really wanted at least 24 B/A's and now have 23. I'm pretty bummed. I prefer to keep the chickens the same age.

If I were to order from Ideal again, I would make sure a heat pack and the gel are included. Or, just not order when it's so cold. I probably should have ordered chicks about 2 months ago. I would have had laying pullets in early spring.

On the plus side, I called Ideal about the initial 5 that didn't make it. They promised to issue a credit. The CSR that I talked to was very polite. Not sure if I'll call tomorrow about the other 2. Also, I know my local feed store is putting in an order with Ideal for another customer. Maybe I can have some BA's included that will be close enough in age.

I asked Ideal if they would include heat packs, they told me they don't do that. I am in Southwest South Dakota and the temps are 0-18 at night and 20-38 in the day. I would love to order 100 chicks but my last 25 were ALL DOA. Has anyone had any luck ordering in this cold from Ideal?

Quote:
You would probably have better luck with 100 vs my 30 but honestly, I would go with a hatchery that includes heat packs. The postal trucks are not heated. In my case, the chicks had to ride in the truck from Portland OR to Medford OR. Normally a 4-5 hour drive but they were logged out of Portland at 3am, arrived in Medford at 9pm.

You might want to check with the other hatcheries to see if orders of 100 need heat. I have purchased from McMurry's and MyPetChicken. My chicks arrived with heat packs and gel. Usually all were alive. I had never ordered during the cold winter months though.

Good luck to you.

Julie

I'm just chiming in as another Ideal fan. First-rate customer service, in my experience. I've received bantam Brahmas, Pearl Guineas, Khaki Campbell and Runner ducks. Other than two of the ducks being crested (which Ideal said could be the case) I've had no issues with any of the birds, and even won "Best Feather-Legged Bantam" at our county fair with one of the Brahmas. I had a few DOAs, but never more than the extras they include.

ETA: Just remembered my local feed store orders from Ideal, so you can add Black Australorps to the list. They really improved my flock!

Last edited:
Update on the survivors...although I lost one whole batch due to cold (DOA at the post office), of the 26 survivors from the 50 chicks I ordered (I lost 24 in the first three days and they only issued a credit for the 7 that were DOA.

Of the 26 bantams that survived, I must say I am very very VERY pleased...over half are silkies or frizzles...there are several that I have no idea what they are...but they grew fast and once they got past three days I have not lost any more. If it were not so cold here, I would order 100 more.

SOmeone suggested ordering 100 would do better, but they only put 25 or 30 in a box, and ship multiple boxes strapped together...so quantity is not really going to keep them any warmer.

South Dakota,

I sent you a PM.

Please let us know what you would like to do. We can credit you for all that you lost or reship some at no charge.

To anyone else that ever has issues please don't hesitate to contact me.

Teri Adcox
Owner

[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom