Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
Last time I got two notices that my chicks were shipped. It was my first time so I hoped I wasn't going to get two orders
gig.gif
I too am expecting bantams from Ideal!
IdealisticRoo-what kind did you order, I have feather legged bantams coming (hoping for at least one of each breed) plus thier packing peanuts!!

In around seven days I should be receiving my 25 Redcap chicks!
wee.gif
They are due to be shipped from Ideal Poultry next Wednesday so I hoping to get them on Thursday.

Redcap Farm

Quote:
Your post did not sound like a complaint at all! You just stated the facts! I wish more people would approach hatchery reviews that way. The bottom line remains that the hatcheries are busy, but Ideal seems to be one of the better ones, allowing small quantities of any of their breeds and not requiring a "25 chick minimum" or HUGE "small order" fees!

When they are busy, human mistakes occur! It really annoys me that so many of the Ideal reviews trash them for "not having" this or that available when the "website said it was available" or they got a wrong chick or a mis-sex or some die!

I am always amazed that thriving healthy chicks arrive in the mail EVERY time I order! Sure I lose 1 or two, but that happens when chicks hatch and don't get shipped!

I did not buy my birds for show, but as they reach adult-hood I am tempted to show them, because I have several that are VERY close to the SOP for their breed!

That is another of my pet peeves, when people trash on "hatchery" birds! Like as if all hatchery birds are dirty, inbred scum! I have heard that Ideal acquires breeding stock from quality breeders to keep their bloodlines and genetics diverse. I personally won several Grand Champions with Ideal's Black Australorps as a kid.

Go Ideal!
jumpy.gif

No, I do not work for Ideal, I am a repeat customer (7 times in 6 months), but I do not receive any compensation, discount or remuneration for my comments or posts!!!

I need an option that says...orderd and got birds, ordered waiting on birds, didn't have what I wanted but am on the waiting list

I got my 2nd order from Ideal yesterday - 2nd order within 2 weeks! I live in Pennsylvania, so the chicks had to travel from Texas. No DOA chicks in either order.

Yesterday I got 4 BBB turkeys and 5 Turkens. The first order I placed they forgot to put in the 5 Turkens, but when I called they said they'd ship out the 5 Turkens ASAP. I asked if I could order 4 turkeys to come at the same time as the turkens. No problem - plus they didn't charge me anything for shipping the turkeys. I have no complaints whatsoever. I bought the insurance so they added extra filler to the box. I think it's pretty darn amazing that these little birds made such a long trip, and they're all very healthy and alert!

I highly, highly recommend Ideal if you don't need "show quality" - although I don't think I'd know show quality if it would slap me in the face, ha ha! My birds are show quality for me and my family - in my back yard!

Edited to add this: I also want to mention that I got the chicks the day after they were shipped out. Fabulous! The sticker on the box says they arrived at the airport in Texas at 6 AM, and arrived at the local airport up here at 8 PM the day they were shipped out.

I will definitely order from Ideal again!

Last edited:
Quote:
Mamma Wolfe, I feel your pain. It is just too easy to get carried away. It is also hard to only order one or two breeds, I want them all!

I have raised and culled or sold or given away mulit $$$ in chickens, but I still just love it. Now, let me go feed my 16 bins of various chicks! Just kidding, I only have 5. HenZ

Quote:
I love your avatar! What chick is that? Is that the Golden Campine? I got one like that in a pullet assortment and I have not been able to identify it!

I am splitting an order with a local friend and BYC-er. I am getting 2 black Frizzle cochins, 3 Self Blue (Lavender) cochins, 3 Self Blue (Lavender) OEGB, 3 Self Blue (Lavender) Moderns and MAYBE a few mystery OEGB out of the 10 assorted OEGB she ordered "to round things off to a nice even 32"!

I love my Ideal OEGBs! They are so tiny and cute and they started laying at 4 & 1/2 months!
woot.gif

One of them (a BBR) has gone broody at 5 months old!
ep.gif

70082_jumpy.jpg

It is strange that Ideal Poultry does not have pictures of most of their "Self Blues", nor are they calling them Lavenders! With the current Lavender craze I would think they could really capitalize on this!

So, if any of you reading this want Lavenders at a low price, search Ideal's web site for "Self Blue"!
big_smile.png

I love this thread. Great posts from reasonable ppl. I love Ideal. I made two orders last Fall, one in October and one in November. Both orders were for 13 chicks of various breeds and specific sexes. Ideal went out of their way to make sure I taken care of and so where my chicks. I lost a couple but it was due to overexcited children and puppies. And when I called Ideal to replace the chicks, they not only sent replacements, they did not charge me for them and sent 8 extra roosters of the same breeds I had ordered from them in my first order without me even asking.

I love my purebred birds do not get me wrong, and I do think that one individual breeder with the right tools can do amazing things with a specific breed but for a mass-producing hatchery like Ideal their birds are amazing and their customer service is out of this world. I was a Murray McMurray customer for many years and throughout the years I had to give up my "farm life" for various reason so when I was able to get back into my chickens 15 years later, I decided to give Ideal a try. Mostly because of their small order availability and they were also the only hatchery that had what I wanted in the late Fall timeframe when all of the other hatcheries were sold out for the year.

I am so happy that I gave them a try and they are definitely my hatchery of choice from this point forward as long as they keep up with their customer service and quality.
smile.png
You can check out my BYC to see the breeds and growth from Ideal that I ordered.

thumbsup.gif
I love Ideal!! I have ordered from them for the past four years and they are awesome!! The service ladies are super nice and I haven't had any trouble with the chicks. I would recommend them to anybody!
ya.gif
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom