Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
Oh how exciting to see all of the chicks! We have 30 arriving (hopefully) tomorrow. 15 Buff Orpington and 15 Black Australorp. Hoping all arrive safely.

Alright, so I ended up with 21 chicks....I have no idea who is who ...

Any guesses?

Alright, so I ended up with 21 chicks....I have no idea who is who ...

Any guesses?

Top photo (left to right): Wyandotte or EE, Buff,?, EE
Bottom photo (clockwise, starting with the bottom): Barred, Australorp, EE?, ?, EE?

EEs should have little pea combs and fuzzy cheeks, and they're often chipmunk stripped but not always. Wyandottes will have a comb similar to the EEs but will be a little bigger and flatter, and the laced ones are also chipmunk stripped. Barred and black birds will look similar--however barred birds will have a yellow spot on the backs of their heads. Buff Orpingtons will be yellow.

Cackle Hatchery has excellent photos of chicks, they also have a video for all the breeds that starts with a box of the chicks and then a guy picks up one or two and you can really get a good idea of what the chicks should look like.

Last edited:
PO just called (6:45 am ) and they're here!

My DH just went to pick them up...fingers crossed he doesn't bring home a box of sadness.

Edit: everyone is out, introduced to food / water and peeping up a storm. 2 DOAs ..a broiler packing peanut and an Australorp, I believe.

Oops, forgot to add. Supposed to be 3 buff orps, 3 australorps, 3 EE and 3 barred rocks....I've counted like 14 (not including the DOAs) but I'm not entirely sure who is who...lol

Your buff chicks are yellow
Your ee will probably look like a chipmunk with the stripe.
Astrolorp are black on their backs and yellow underneath

The yellow chicks come in 2 shades of yellow. The traditional easter basket chick yellow/ pale yellow....and then there are 3 that are a little deeper yellow with some tint to their head. So, I have half that I guess are the orpingtons are half that are...?

Edit: final chick count is 21. Goodness!

Last edited:
Id say the pale yellow....how many buff orphingtons did you order? How many pale yellow?
How many Easter basket yellow

I ordered 3 buff orps. I have 3 of the richer / not quite pale yellow chicks and 5 ( one was DOA) of the super light chicks. My richer hued chicks also looks just a *tad* fuller bodied. So, I think I just assumed the 3 were the orps. I will try to get better pictures soon.

Side note: of all the chicks, only the paler yellow chicks have gotten pasty butt and 3/4 have it. Odd.

Back
Top Bottom