IDEAL RANT

nayeli

Songster
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
I just have to rant because I'm pretty upset! I made an order with Ideal poultry a week ago for some chicks I was ordering 8 bantams... I just got a call today and I was super excited because I though hey since I only ordered 8 and its in a 3/3/2 set maybe they had extras hatch and they are shipping in like 2 days (the ship time before mine)...

They were calling to cancel my order because the birds won't be laying by then anymore... UMM What? Why was I able to order online, not to mention I just went online and it STILL allows me to place a new order for them with a ship date this year, yet they aren't going to have them til next year!

I called them and they put me on a waiting list because I insisted that hey there might still be a couple hens that lay eggs... and I REALLY want them! GRR

... and they offered to substitute them for some standard breeds. NO!

This is not anything negative about their chickens, the health or quality! They have good prices and the lady I spoke with was nice...

but getting chicks is like Christmas. Ideal ruined Christmas =(

I was about to start building a new chicken tractor and everything and now I might have to wait four months... I'm super not happy, I wanted 3+ month old chickens in february of next year... heck by then my silkie might have hatched her own =/

Such a bummer. Waiting is NO FUN! It is kind of late in the season.....Maybe try another hatchery? I use Meyer Hatchery.

If you have to wait, just remember, "Good things come to those who wait!" Just think of how you will be super prepared! You could build a castle of a coop!
wink.png

Such a bummer. Waiting is NO FUN! It is kind of late in the season.....Maybe try another hatchery? I use Meyer Hatchery.

If you have to wait, just remember, "Good things come to those who wait!" Just think of how you will be super prepared! You could build a castle of a coop!
wink.png
LMAO, we aren't that good of carpenters
gig.gif

I really don't like the idea of mail order chicks which is why I chose Ideal. Its only one state over so the chicks won't have to travel very far. My only back up would be buying local but some people around here have crazy prices for sebrights. This guy was asking $50 for 2.. thats $25 per bird and if the rooster is loud I won't even be able to keep it.. and they only sell them in pairs (the two people selling them at all)!
he.gif

I'm really hoping that they have some hens laying late and I still get the order but I'm not really too hopeful about it
fl.gif

Wow! That is quite alot of money per bird. Seabrights....are they a small chicken? I have to look those up....You could build a moat around your Seabright castle......

I had never heard of Ideal until this thread. I just looked them up and realized they are next door. I ordered from Meyer. They will come air parcel I believe....and I am sure they will be alright...if not a little disoriented when they arrive.
In the future I will probably be buying local. I would really like some Lavender Orpingtons, and there are a couple of farmers here in Arkansas that have them at different times.

Wow! That is quite alot of money per bird. Seabrights....are they a small chicken? I have to look those up....You could build a moat around your Seabright castle......

They are gorgeous birds! I ran into them at the local flea market with animal sales and auctions and knew I had to have some! I found a guy an hour away who has them and silkies... but the silkies won't be laying til next year or later if he does additional lighting so I don't want to drive that far if he doesn't have both... Looks like I'll be waiting til spring whether I get them from Ideal or from Hillbillyhatchery. (That is seriously the name!).

No Sebright castle! We are huge fans of chicken tractors... and so are our chickens =)

I had never heard of Ideal until this thread. I just looked them up and realized they are next door. I ordered from Meyer. They will come air parcel I believe....and I am sure they will be alright...if not a little disoriented when they arrive.
In the future I will probably be buying local. I would really like some Lavender Orpingtons, and there are a couple of farmers here in Arkansas that have them at different times.

I know that mail shipped chicks are usually alright, but its so hard on them that I prefer not to do it...and when I do I look for the closest choice, plus while there are benefits to hatcheries there are also drawbacks (how the chickens are kept sometimes, what happens to extra male sex linked sometimes etc). Not to mention buying local supports your local economy which is always great!

Have you heard of HillbillyHatchery? Not sure if Orphingtons are standard or bantam, I believe he specializes in bantams.

I looked up some pictures of the Seabrights. They're very pretty! I'm excited for you.
That is the main reason I have to have them LOL. I chose silkies for their broody nature, their looks and their temperament... Oh well I suppose if I have to wait I'll add a few more chicks on my list with additional research =) I need at least one bird that is a good egg layer (that way I can cross breed with my silkie and try to get a silkie mix that is a good layer)!

Back
Top Bottom