Ideal

Things do happen, they may say they have that breed in stock at this date but it turns out there hatch was not great or eggs did not hatch as well as planned. I'm used to understanding this, I work at big grocery place at seafood and people were ****** when we didint have the fresh stock or we were out of stock.. You cant blame the people.. Blame the demand.

Last edited:
This may not apply to you, but I thought it might be good to remind people, and especially for new folks, that some hatcheries ask if they can substitute or not. So when ordering, we should look for that link. I do not know if this applies to Ideal and don't mean to offend anyone. Just thought it would be a good way to remind other chicken raisers of the possibility.

So sorry about the chicks and ducks not being what you ordered. They should at least reimburse you. It costs a lot to raise these little buggers. You should at least get your money back, inc. shipping.
You are right mychickenbrood and no offense taken :)

I have ordered from them quite a few times over the last 6 years or so. This order and the way it was handled just dumbfounded me. I have always recommended Ideal in the past. Maybe there are new people working there or something. When I called them regarding it they did say they should have called when they realized they couldn't fulfill the order. The thing is, I probably would have just filled the order with more EE's and waited till spring for the SF and they would've made a bit more money then even the original order. The chicks are all healthy and came well packed, as always from them, and I expected a few males for packing peanuts--that is clearly stated on the website they will do this unless you specifically ask them not to. It does cost to raise them though and I ordered female ducks because my older hen died after 8 years and my drake is pretty lonely but also very aggressive when mating so that is why I didn't want the crested breed. Now I will have 5 males and only 1 hen, not good, so I guess they will end up in the freezer along with all those leghorns and I will try another hatchery in the spring to get my "pet" flock together. I liked that they were so close to me though, made shipping fast for the little ones.

Things do happen, they may say they have that breed in stock at this date but it turns out there hatch was not great or eggs did not hatch as well as planned. I'm used to understanding this, I work at big grocery place at seafood and people were ****** when we didint have the fresh stock or we were out of stock.. You cant blame the people.. Blame the demand.
Yep, I understand that. It was not being called and asked if I wanted to hold the order or change it.

Actually, the extra chicks are needed to keep these little teenie ones warm enough. Otherwise, they would have to pack a heated pad in there and I imagine that might not last long enough for the shippment to arrive.

The males are always in excess, so these are the ones they probably send, unless they send straight run, but that seems unlikely to me, unless they just don't have enough orders for one particular breed they have a large excess of.

I have gotten one order from a hatchery and just ordered another batch from MPC that will come at the end of October. I'm curious now if I will get some extras. I ordered 25.

Back
Top Bottom