Ideas and Routines to Make any Flock Happy.

Do any of you guys have aggressive cocks or cockerels? If so share your funny moments with them! I have a d'anver cock that try's to claw my eyes out every time I enter his pen lol. I also have a white silkie cock who is REALLY protective of his flock. Btw the white cock is in a working flock, so this should be a good breeding to find out if the aggressiveness is genetic or not. so far so good though. :D

Do any of you guys have aggressive cocks or cockerels? If so share your funny moments with them! I have a d'anver cock that try's to claw my eyes out every time I enter his pen lol. I also have a white silkie cock who is REALLY protective of his flock. Btw the white cock is in a working flock, so this should be a good breeding to find out if the aggressiveness is genetic or not. so far so good though. :D

There are no funny moments with an aggressive roo. They get one "freebie", the next time ends with them in the chill chest, that day.

I have not had any aggressive rooster experience yet.

Should one turn bad on me -- which is probably inevitable -- his name will be changed to "Chili".

My roo has been ok, mostly. He's never flogged me, but has rushed my feet and pecked at them. I tried the "Holding him down" thing and that helped for maybe a week. What has helped the best is to have a big stick that I take in with me. It's about 35-40" long, and I can use it to push him back or out of the way if I need to.

He has been very good recently, until this morning... he wanted to peck my feet. I pushed him out of the way with the stick, and that was that.

My roo has been ok, mostly. He's never flogged me, but has rushed my feet and pecked at them. I tried the "Holding him down" thing and that helped for maybe a week. What has helped the best is to have a big stick that I take in with me. It's about 35-40" long, and I can use it to push him back or out of the way if I need to.

He has been very good recently, until this morning... he wanted to peck my feet. I pushed him out of the way with the stick, and that was that.
I have something similar, I call it my Rooster Stick lol. It's basically a hand broom. But it works really good to push them out of the way because they don't like the feeling of the bristles. First I warn them with it, basically i just hold it in front of them before i touch them with it, that usually makes them back off. But their are always stupid ones. When the Rooster Stick doesn't work then i make them feel trapped, its kinda like "Holding him down" but instead i corner them with the Rooster Stick. And that really helps.

So I have been doing some research on nesting herbs and other natural things to feed your birds. I have also saw some really cool ideas for remodeling or building a coop. I have seen a dust bath made from a used tire to a vegetable and fruit kabob, and while all that is cool and interesting, it got me thinking: Are my chickens happy with their routine I set up? Or do they expect more? Turns out I'm not the only person out there who asks themselves out there.

So I decided to create a thread that will get everyone to share their ideas and concerns about their coop, flock, feeding routines ect, me and everyone else who joins.
And I hope all the ideas on here help anyone maintain their flock better...
Reason to know if your chippers are happy. They are gonna make a sound of pleasure to know if you flock is happy or not I have a flock myself and I could tell when its happy. Well if they arent happy there gonna make a odd sound that goes like boot boot.

T
Reason to know if your chippers are happy. They are gonna make a sound of pleasure to know if you flock is happy or not I have a flock myself and I could tell when its happy. Well if they arent happy there gonna make a odd sound that goes like boot boot.
That's really interesting. There is one noise I recognize that one of my chickens makes, is a really annoying squawk, she makes this noise when she is out of water or food.

I started a new project! I call it, The Flock Project.

I started out with a trio of black silkies (1 roo, 3 hens). First i was kinda mesmerized by how they have all these little roles, lead hen (usually older with more experience), and then the younger ones who were just buddies and never really fought at all. The rooster was just awesome, so sweet to his hens and other roosters. But that got me thinking, why?

So i allowed all three of the hens to have chicks, cool thing about that was they ALL helped. like all three on the same nest. But that left the rooster all alone in the same pen. Some people say you cant do that because he will get jealous, but he never did. In fact he did the complete opposite, which changed the way i view chickens entirely. Every day while the hens were broody, he would lay with them. When they got up to eat and drink he would show them where the food was EVERY day. At night he would sleep with them. But when they hatched is when it blew me away. All three hens hatched all thirty eggs. I thought i would have to move them because everyone says you have to. But I never did. When those chicks started walking around with the moms he would show them the food and water. When they were cold not only would they snuggle their mom, but they mostly snuggled him. I would go in the coop and see all thirty chicks under him. I would see thirty different pairs of legs sticking out from underneath him lol. When they got older he would let them ride around on his back. It was funny. Then i wondered if this was genetic. Not only that but is the aggressive rooster genetic.
So now i am on a mission to find out. so far i have two working flocks and i am hoping i can help other breeders have working flocks too. :)
That sounds a lot like my coop. Hens hatch chicks, my silkie rooster is great with them. When the mother hen stops brooding them at 6 to 8 weeks (depending on which hen it is) they will sleep on the roost under his fluff. He was an aggressive rooster with other males though, ( yes, was, he died this summer of natural causes) and fought with every rooster I hatched. I have is son now who is just 5 months old. Let's see if he has the same aggressive nature toward other roos.

Back
Top Bottom